How do you cut granite tile???

I am going to be putting in 12x12 inch granite tile on my kitchen countertop. The installation will be pretty straightforward because my counters are straight without any complicated turns. However, I will need to cut some of the tiles to fit. My questions are:

  1. Do I need a special masonary blade to cut granite tile? I have a
7" masonry blade I bought from HD for purposes of cutting sewer pipe. I suspect that it is a general purpose diamond blade.

  1. Do I cut granite tile in a special way? For example, do I start cuts on the smooth or shiny side.... or, should I start cuts on the dull side of the tile?

Is there anything else I should know about handling these tiles?? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Al,