OT: how to recover a ppt password?

I have an old ppt file which I want to make some small changes to, but unfortunately it's password protected and I no longer have the password. I've got the password to open the file but need a second one to be able to edit it. Is there a way around this?

Reply to
NoSpam

If you Google "Powerpoint password" there are plenty of programs around to do this. Unfortunately they tend to come from the Russian region so you'll probably get a few trojans, botnets and viruses infecting your PC as a side effect.

John

Reply to
John

To be fair, often if you can find the original source of said software, its normally clean. Its the idiots or whatever in between that infect them! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , John writes

There are several Google hits on 'powerpoint password recovery freeware'. I can't instantly see any from Russia. What about this one?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

One word: "Sandboxie". Can be used for running (possibly) dodgy software with impunity.

Reply to
Scott M

I take it you don't mean it is a read only file?

If it is then just save it as another file and edit that.

You can also open such stuff with Office Libre and Open Office and save it on that. Failing that, Knoppix will decode it for you but only with a "Freeware" office file.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The last time I had to do this, I cloned my Windows XP VirtualBox VM, ran the hacking tools (all of which failed miserably), then threw the VM away.

In the course of this I discovered you can cut and paste the contents of an Office file protected against editing into another file, where you *can* edit it, so the password protection is utterly pointless.

Reply to
Huge

Isn't there something about just changing the file extension for some version(s) of PowerPoint?

Change .ppt to .pps?

Reply to
polygonum

It still asks for the password to open the file (which I have) but then asks for a second password in order to be able to edit - and that's the one that I don't have

Reply to
NoSpam

After entering the first password can you use "File>SaveAs" ?

What about with OpenOffice instead of MSOffice?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Open Office 3 complains that it can't open password protected ppt files; copy and paste doesn't work

Reply to
NoSpam

Thanks, but the download is a demo and I don't really want to pay EUR29 without some idea that it might work.

Reply to
NoSpam

SaveAs is greyed-out. OpenOffice3 complains that it can't open password-protected ppt files ... but I've got a vague feeling that older versions of open office didn't have this restriction so I'll do some digging

Reply to
NoSpam

What about the others?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

OpenOffice3 won't open it, nor apparently will Libre Office (Libreoffice Bug report 35327 says: Cannot open Powerpoint document with password protection)

Reply to
NoSpam

Oh, I've used the same trick with OO on .doc files, but never tried .ppt

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've gone back from LO3.4.x to OO3.3.x it had way too many regressions.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm not brave-enough to try without a solid recommendation.

Reply to
NoSpam

Presumably "Save As" doesn't work?

How about copy and paste into an empty powerpoint file?

Reply to
Newshound

SaveAs is greyed-out, copy doesn't work.

Reply to
NoSpam