OT: how to find out about traffic incidents on a certain stretch of road

Apologies for an OT request (at least it's not politics or religion!), but I need to find out what incidents have occurred on a stretch of road in the past 5 or 6 years and don't know how to start. A quick check of the local press hasn't helped and I'm waiting for the police to respond to an info request but optimism isn't high - any suggestions for other places to look?

Reply to
nothanks

Is this any use?

Richard

many more.

Reply to
nothanks

DJC

Highways Agency? I'm assuming its not London, or another metropolitan Area where the records would be with the controlling authority. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

It depends whether they were reported of course, near me there have been several incidents where cyclists have run down blind pedestrians on a crossing to a floating bus stop but the only one actually recorded was the one involving a guide dog user as she worked for the council. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

If the accidents involved injury, the police should have been informed. They, in turn, pass information to the council's highways department (at least they do here), who keep a record. From my experience they are many months behind though (I phoned about a change to a road that had made it more dangerous and was told that there had been no accidents since the change. I told them that there had been one a couple of months earlier and they told me that they only get the info 5 to 9 months behind.)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for all the replies and links, but none of them show any incidents on the stretch of road that I'm interested in. Perhaps cars going through hedges on bends and knocking-down telegraph poles don't get reported or logged so I'll need to rely on individual recollection.

Reply to
nothanks

On 14/11/2019 09:08, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote: ...

A car going through a hedge may not even end up being reported to the insurers. However, you might try asking around local recovery companies. They will attend a lot more minor incidents than the Police.

Reply to
nightjar

Default is most recent 5 years you have to tick to see previous ones.

I checked it on my data for local accident blackspot and it seems to have stuff going back at least 20 years (and reports if you login).

I would take the location data with a pinch of salt though some tags on the map are out by 100m and even on the wrong road (including one that wasn't built at the date of the fatal collision).

Reply to
Martin Brown

If your request is a reasonable one and asked the right way then the police will give you the anonymised A hit B hit C on date and the KSI stats. I was able to obtain these details when campaigning for a bridge at a notorious accident blackspot. They make alarming reading.

I think it would be helpful to road safety if some of the most outrageous ones were published in the local press.

It may take them a few weeks to collate them and they will only know about KSI incidents where the police attended. Bent metal doesn't count.

This can mean that a junction where there are a heck of a lot of minor white line overrun collisions do not show up in police data at all.

Your local district councillor is worth having onside for any road safety campaign.

Reply to
Martin Brown

And have the advantage that they rarely suggest alcohol testing.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It has to be notified to the police and with a recorded injury before it will appear in the police database. I can confirm that milk tankers hitting poles and hedges that destroyed all mains and phone service to the village definitely do not appear in the database. He wasn't injured although a summary lynching afterwards was a distinct possibility.

Round here provided that no-one is hurt the driver comes back with someone to tow him away after sobering up the next morning. There are plenty of gaps in the hedges on almost every tight bend. If it is a stolen car then then they torch it and presumably walk home.

If the car ends up embedded in someone's living room then it does tend to attract more attention. There is a house on a notorious bend now protected by a 3' thick slab of concrete going deep into the ground.

The pub carpark wall on another bend gets rebuild about twice yearly it is wall fall down season now with the frosty winter mornings.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Possibly they were logged by PostCode, so the location would be the centre of that PostCode area - which might even be in the middle of a field!

Reply to
Terry Casey

No. The entire series of accidents were on the A19 itself and I happen to know the exact locations of several of them in great detail.

They are all at the same nominal postcode and with 300m of a junction.

I had a play with it on another local bad junction and it shows the skew in the statistics that occurs because only serious accidents are logged.

I know that there are always bits of broken bumper and light cluster on a particular junction (bad sight line oblique to the fast main road) with drivers coming out of the sun at rush hour certain times of year. Most collisions are glancing incidence nearside to offside corners meaning lots of bits of bumper and light clusters smashed.

But the junction for the turning the other way has 3x more KSI incidents and it has fairly normal to good sight lines on the same fast road the difference being that any collision is invariably a T-bone crash.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In the first link, the map can't be zoomed using + and - as it says in the help, but shift+drag gives a combined zoom and rotate.

Reply to
Dave W

Only deal with motorways and major A roads. Up here that's just the M6, A66 (Workington, Penrith, Scotch Corner/A1), A69 (Carlisle, Newcastle/A1) and "strategic routes" the A590 (M6 to Barrow) and the A595 (A66 near Workington to Sellafield).

All other roads in Cumbria are under Cumbria County Council.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The +/- zoom works in my browser, Opera.

Reply to
Richard

Strange - I've just tried Opera and it doesn't work on that either. I then updated from 64.0.3417.92 to 65.0.3467.42 but it still didn't work. But then I discovered that although the + and - keys near the numeric pad didn't work, the shift +/= key zooms up, but the - key next to it doesn't zoom down. However the + key above the numeric pad resets the zoom to its initial state.

Going back to Firefox and PaleMoon none of the above worked.

Reply to
Dave W

The usual thing is Ctrl-+ and Ctrl--, and they work for me.

Reply to
Bob Eager