OT: How much money have base-rate mortgagees saved ?

Modern houses are shit.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

True.

True again.

How does it make it worse? I can see it won't help, but ....

True.

--snip--

Reply to
Mark

IIRC in the USA the consitution says that right to bear arms is related to a Militia or army and is misunterpreted to permit anyone to own a gun.

Reply to
Mark

Because all of them tend to maintain high house prices. By keeping rents high.

House prices would tumble if there was an adequate supply of affordable to rent housing. Which would mean building on land already in public ownership rather than selling it off to the highest bidder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it isn't.

and is misunterpreted to permit anyone to

Tell that to the supremes.

Reply to
lopt

There is no shortage of housing. Just too many migrants. Deliberately imported to keep wages down and house prices up.

Reply to
harry

Oh yes it is,

harry

Houses are being built cheaply by migrant labour. Who also put house pricesup by occupying them. Win win for house builders.

Reply to
harry

Just to confirm what you want harry. You'd love to see the wages paid to those in basic jobs - like the sort immigrants do - go up substantially? And you're very happy to pay extra because of that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err, you have missed the facts completely I think.

In 2000 Blair was fervantly in favour of joining the Euro, while Brown was utterly oposed to it. If we had joined the euro we would have had to hand over control of our gold reserves to the ECB.

Brown deliberately sold off our gold to thwart TB. Even worse he announced his decision in 'advance', and outfits like JP Morgan then short-sold gold and forced its price down enabling them and others to hoover up UK gold at a knock down price.

This was all about a power struggle between GB and TB.

In 2000 the economy was still in the fine shape that it was in

1997. There was absolutely no need to sell gold for a genuine economic reason, the pound didn't need support, the deficit was low thanks to the previous government and the balance of payments was tiny by comparison with the last 15 years.

In 2000 Brown was slapping on stealth taxes like IR35 left right and centre, but no-one noticed because they were obsessed with making money flipping houses (Sarah Beaney and others).

Reply to
Andrew

Old-timers said that in the 1930's when huge estates were built along all the outer LOndon tube lines.

The same was said in the 60's when 15 mm copper piping and PVC wiring, pre-made roof trusses and building blocks became the norm.

Reply to
Andrew