OT: How many trees will Microsoft have to plant ?

Some announcement there.

How much electronic junk has ended up in landfill or being shipped to Africa for 'recycling' since 1983 when the IBM PC started its evolution into becoming a domestic appliance ?.

How much energy is used every year to a) power all those cloud server farms, and b) keep them cool ?

Reply to
Andrew

I know I thought the same, and of course you also need to know that microsoft basic even predates the pc as it was used on Atari and numerous other home computers in the 80s. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

How many PCs have been junked simply because windows was so obese?

BTW, trees plant themselves when left to it.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Also if these undersea server farms come along maybe they can plant seaweed to compensate for them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

C-weed?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

It was old in the 80s, it was first released in 1975.

Reply to
mm0fmf

About 10 kWh per year for every person on the planet, according to US DoE

Reply to
newshound

There are plenty of numbers "out there" that place it much higher than that already

Andy Burns

And where will they be planted?

Reply to
harry

Algae in the sea is said to capture more CO2 than the total number of trees on the planet. By creating the right conditions for more algae we may solve the climate crisis within the year. The really green solution would be to just pump our raw sewage out to sea to provide the nutrients for algae production.

Reply to
alan_m