OT: Hospital parking charges removed?

On the one hand you're saying "no profit" ...

... and on the other "profit". Which is it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In our case, it's Tesco, but the concept is the same.

Reply to
charles

In many places it's far beyond that

but many hospitals have been relocated onto edge of town site because land costs are lower

and yet they still want to charge city centre fees for parking.

That should be banned.

Fess allowed should be based upon the local market, and if that is zero, then zero is what they should charge.

This is undoubtedly an issue in some locations, and obviously a blanket ban on fees isn't workable in those locations

But in many towns/cities around the country the idea that the hospital car park is useful to commuters/shopper is laughable.

tim

Reply to
tim...

How many Hospitals in the built up area of London have visitor parking?

The only one of which I have any knowledge is St Georges (It's where my mother went to die) and AFAIA it has no parking but as it has a 24 hour bus service in the street outside, PT access is perfectly useable

But go to Epsom Hospital and it's not quite so easy

but not everyone lives in London

tim

Reply to
tim...

The only one I've been in (I had to travel from East Kent, and have done so three times for an actual stay, as well as lots of OP visits) is Barts.

That is easy as you use the Smithfield underground car park across the road. Not too bad, price wise.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

I use the bus.

Reply to
bert

In article , bm writes

Not at our hospital it doesn't - goes into the hospital. But we do have decent competent hospital management - not something I would say lightly.

Reply to
bert

It is of the overall efficiency means you actually pay less than if it was run by the NHS with all its practices.

Reply to
bert

In article , Roland Perry writes

Our Trust has a system in place for that.

Reply to
bert

Preston Royal Hospital, Lancashire: ?3 for six hours. Big sign on the wall. If you have a permit you can park in disabled bays, even if you are not disabled. I questioned this by email. They said it was a "gray area and I could appeal if I got a ticket" I took it further. They replied saying that they had taken the sign down and that it should never have been there. Chatted to one of the parking guys. He said that I could park in "Wheelchair only" bays if I had a permit. I questioned this as I do not use a wheelchair. He said that it is a "gray area". He said that if I had a permit I could park in the staff car park after

2.30pm. I pointed out that a staff card must be used for the barrier to the car park to be lifted. He said, "This is a gray area". He looked like Albert Steptoe.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It is simple and cheap to hve a barrier that requires a token or code to exit. Tokens can be obtained when registering for your appointment on arrival or at reception on the ward if visiting a patient. Just as many hotels use tokens to allow their guests to exit the car park. Simple, effective, cheap to operate and prevents the car park being used by commuters.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If there is no charge for parking in surrounding streets etc, why not just park there?

My local council matches the NHS charges in surrounding streets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

St Georges in Tooting is my local hospital and does have car parking. From near here, I can get a bus which actually drives round the grounds. There is also a tube station not that far away. About 10 minute's walk. As well as a few other bus services.

Not really familiar with others - but doubt any inner London ones would have much in the way of car parking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at

06:39:06 on Wed, 10 May 2017, whisky-dave remarked:

Because the parking company is more efficient at running car parks than nurses are.

Because they are unwell, and also needing to get to specific timed appointments, which visitors aren't.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 20:27:49 on Wed, 10 May 2017, bert remarked:

Two of the hospitals I go to, have one only bus an hour.

Reply to
Roland Perry

That frequent? We have 3 buses a day out of our village; first one is

10.30. After changing at the bus station, I reckon I could make an 11.30 appointment. And I couldn't stay any later than 4.30 to get the last bus home.
Reply to
charles

Used to be one an hour when I lived there..

Not sure there are ANY buses out of our village at all.

Oh. about 2 a day in each direction it would seem

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, but I understand greed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Then remove those practises, which should also be removed from the NHS.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So charge the car parking copmpany for the land they are making money on, just like any other business would do.

My mother was unwell and she went by amblance like many do. if you're uwell you realy shouldn't be driving to a hopital anyway.

Who turns up at A & E for a timed appointment ?

Reply to
whisky-dave