OT: Hospital parking charges removed?

In my view all companies providing public services must be on the non profit model, ie all profits are directed at better services. Of course there has to be some way for people to invest in them and get a return, so I'd suggest a cap on profits so that they may make more as shareholders than in bank or other accounts, but not the exhorbitant amounts and no foreign staches.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Given house prices in London which makes is better to close down say a filling station and turn it into housing, I do wonder what the value of that land used for parking actually is - if it had permission for development? I'd guess it would makes what we presently pay for parking per hour something of a bargain.

In London you can get a cab very quickly these days with Uber, etc. And many hospitals have a decent bus service right into the grounds.

Well, yes. If the NHS was awash with money it might be a reasonable complaint. But to save hospital visitors a quid or two when it is short of money for the essential stuff?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If that were the case, no reason a local trust shouldn't adopt it. Giving all free parking regardless if they need it or not is just silly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most supermarkets also use a private contractor to control parking if they have it. So you can assume it is the most cost effective way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a new branch of Lidl opened round here. No parking restrictions at the moment - other than the usual signs. And there's a large car auction nearby. On days when that is on the go, the Lidl carpark is full. So expect to see controls very shortly - would have been by now, except it's shared by a few other stores.

Sadly, provide free car parking, and some will abuse it. To the point where the owner of the carpark starts losing custom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you live, it will be to regret saying that.

At least 60% of all cancers have no known reason for their appearance.

No lifestyle change will lessen their likelihood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So it's an advantage for someone to make a profit out of hospital car parking and giving that money made to private individuals aka share holders ?.

Why don't we do the same with the rest of the NHS, Oh yeah I forgot that is the plan.

Why can't patients make the same alternative arrangments ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes. They didn't realise that better health also meant a longer life. And anything wears out with age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it you are young? The vast majority will need hospital attention at some point when they get older - regardless of how well they 'take care' of their bodies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You think the average patient capable of choosing what treatment is best for them? If so, not much point in doctors, etc?

But you already have the choice to pay for private care if you so wish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had an MRI scan recently. Was given a choice of locations and times.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe the same is happening with foodbanks.

I do know someone who was a drug dealer (legal) who sold medines to doctors working for the NHS. Without naming the drug companies I'll use B&Q and s crewfix . It was quite common for the doctors to reccomend the buying of the more exp ensive options from say B&Q if they took them out to a fine lunch at a rest urant, those componies that relied on good products and the promise of a br anded pen and ruler set from screwfix, there products weren't recommend to the NHS purchasers.

Weak managment and this is when and where private componies could take over .

A first warning of say allowing an extra 5 mins if traffic is bad. Then it's a £10 per minute or whatever. If there's CCTV etc... They do this in court with late jurers fine them heavly, they don't re-off end.

On a case I was on they called the jury 11 of us went in, about 10 mins lat er the 12th arrived she'd been knitting in the area waiting to be called an d she didn;t hear her name, she was fined £500 for those 10 mins. She wasnt; late the next time we were called into court I wonder why, I don 't even think she had her knitting with her the next time.

I've noticed that the buses I use where you can get on the bus at the back and centre as well as the front less and less people are paying or using th eir oyster card, as more realise they can do this, more will follow.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So, let them die, bring in new blood from Europe or anywhere, this started as the slave trade decades ago, when you can import cheap labour you don't need to look after your present workforce just replace them. ;-/

Reply to
whisky-dave

You have no idea about my personal circumstances and I don't intend to enlighten you, but I am including the cost of visiting family and friends as patients, not just personal care. The fuel cost is of the same order as parking, and is negligible in my budget.

Reply to
newshound

My brother had one recently too, he didn't get a choice but I suppose he could have said he can't make it.

Another odd thing that happened when he wanted to renew he;s car insurance they said it'd gone up because he was unemployed so would be driving his car MORE due to looking for work.

Who drives around looking for work when you're an office working ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Exactly.

I've no idea what the commercial arrangements are at my "local" (Gloucester Royal) but *someone* has built an amply sized NCP type multi-story on the hospital land. There's also quite a decent shop, and a Costa Coffee, on the premises. I've no doubt the operators are paying the hospital a commercial rent. The end result is that both parking and refreshments have been improved out of all recognition from the situation a few years ago. To my mind, that is the acceptable face of capitalism.

Reply to
newshound

The way to make prices competitive is to re-tender the franchise periodically. Having a committee of consultants, nurses, and hospital administrators to decide what is a "fair" return is just daft.

Reply to
newshound

Do you use one, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was a subcontractor to the NHS. Ie, a private concern. I obviously expected to go to my closest large NHS hospital so was surprised when they first offered me it at about the most inconvenient one for me to get to in the trust. I asked about alternatives and had it in a building just opposite Waterloo station - very easy for me to get to.

And of course when living the life of Riley on the dole will be driving all over the country on days out.

Who drives anywhere looking for work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd expect the contracts to have a nice "golden handshake" built in. So the companies will get still paid but not have to do anything...

Depends on what those charges are and how they are collected. Controlled access and a pound up front for as long as it takes is fine.

A pound for 15 mins up front, no refunds, for an out patients or A&E visit is not. You don't really know how long you're going to be, so you hae to guess and over pay or run the risk of getting a ticket.

A pound for 15 mins, pay on exit is still a rip off but at least you only pay for what you "use".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice