OT: Holy Crap batman

EU president tell us that aliens are concerned over brexit...

Is there yet another thing they are not telling us?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quick, measure him up for a turquoise tracksuit ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK I'll bite, is there a visual mis translation of what he is saying or what? My non existant French recognised Planet and maybe ESA but little else apart from a very borring monotonic way of speaking. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The apologists are either saying

- he was in fact joking

- he was in fact drunk

- he meant it 'figuratively'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is a translation of the speech here in an EU press release. I have no idea if it will play nicely with your reader.

Robin

It appears to entirely omit the bit in the video.

Quelle surprise....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really, well don't think much of his delivery technique then, as it sounded like he was reading it off a bit of paper. Make it live man, project for gowds sake! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One piece is repeated in this translation and the joke or whatever it was is not there. There are some strange uses of English here, which I guess are due to the translation. I note with all of those words the actual thing a lot of people voted out for is not mentioned onnce, ie the tie up between access to the market and the free movement of people. That it seems to me is at the heart of the debate. I'm not personally convinced that the migration of workers should be an issue at all, as to be competitive if we assume capitalism is still the ethos, companies should be able to set wages. The big snag in my view is laid in the ball park of the EU in accepting countries with much lower standards of living and lower wages and all of that into the market as full member far too early. Surely the reunification of Germany must have taught the Germans some valuable lessons about such things, after all their own Chancellor is from the East.

Although Junkers talks the talk about reducing waste and red tape, he seems to be presiding over quite the opposite. maybe its because he is not elected, that this is so. In theory, if he was president Junkers and he really did want to do what he says, he would close the two centre parliament and offices into one, and attempt to bring things that are wasteful to an end. Sadly he is but a football in an everlasting match, and when his bladder is burst, he will be replaced by another one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1

I can't help wondering how such people get to these positions of authority, let alone hold on to them. Sepp Blatter comes to mind.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

the transcript says

"I have met and listened to several leaders"

The subtitles rendered into the video say

"I have met and listened to several leaders of other planets"

which seems to agree with his actual speech, but who knows if it's been videoshopped?

you could use the auto-generated and auto-translated from French to English subtitles, for added hilarity.

Reply to
Andy Burns