OT: Hearing Aids

Typically two but there may be a nearer local facility attached to a library or larger GP practice that has an audiology suite where the hospital comes to you rather than you going to the distant hospital. The hearing tests need to be done under very controlled conditions.

First one they check your ears are dewaxed (your GP should do this part and if necessary remove any) take a hearing test and an ear mould. The second visit they fit the aid and fiddle with the mechanics and tune the digital aid to match your hearing and comfort. Both visits take about half an hour - you need to be in an acoustic chamber for both visits.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Take back? I got the prescription from one company and the glasses from another.

I did go back, admittedly two years latter. They could have done all of this, but they didn't.

Even getting them to give me the previous prescription was a battle.

Given the previous test was suspect should I just trust that their new test is right?

All I wanted was more evidence so I could make a better decision. My assumption is that they were secretive because information is power. In particular it gives the customer power to uncover professional incompetence.

I've seen it from accountants, doctors too. Just a simple request for information causes them to become unhelpful and secretive. It's not like they even know they have done something wrong. Secrecy is just a reflex reaction, just in case. Part of being a "professional", I guess.

[snip]

I have used PAYG phones for the last 20 years, I know how much they cost.

Eye-test = £25. New glasses from the internet with my prescription lens = £24.

I was actually tremendously impressed with the £24 frames, rimless, no hinges just bendy metal, much better than the previous £200 frames I have which bend out of shape and the screws fall out.

The only question with the cheap glasses is were the prescription lenses wrong or was the prescription wrong. If I could get a pair made to the previous glasses prescription I could eliminate the prescription being bad.

Quite rightly? Rightly they should do what I want. I'm a grown up who knows how to make decisions for myself.

If I ask a decorator to use blue paint I don't expect him to "rightly" insist that he can only use red.

Reply to
Sam Clark

The word is ambiguous but I think a common meaning is: a member of an established profession, lawyer, doctor, accountant, etc...

Reply to
Sam Clark

nstalled by a professional.

but we all get paid, so what is a professional service is bin colelcting a profesional service ?

as expect4ed it's meaningless just a way to impress the stupid. About 10 years ago we didn't have professional services we had secretarial services.

the odds a good bit.

Does it ? well it should do, but it''s aim seems to be more about grading p eople and salery scales.

Here's the closest explanation I can find.

Queen Mary?s Principal is Professor Colin Bailey, who chairs the Se nior Executive. The University is governed by two main bodies: Council and Senate. The Professional Services departments support the running of the Un iversity.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ideal way for one to blame the other for any problems, I'd say?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Opticians actually have a machine to reverse engineer a prescription from a specific pair of glasses. So they could reliably test to see if the third party glasses matched their prescription.

But as you say...

Reply to
Sam Clark

While the above didn't come from me I think I can still asnwer it.

I do wonder that if I got and get a free test will I need new glasses or wi ll a paid test mean the person taking the test can be paid from the test ra ther than from me buying a new set of glasses that aren't really required.

I sued to go to teh dentist every 6 months or so I alwasy needed a filling or something done, then I stopped going in 1997. December last year a piece of tooth broke off, I wwnt to the dentist had th e tooth done and paid about £300 IIRC. Other than a clean NOTHING else needed doings but I;m pretty sure if I'd go t every 6 months soomething would have been found every time.

It's like taking yuor car in for a service every year or every month. Are regualar check ups cheaper ?

and who can do this a trained opticain or the checkout girl at poundland ? Who do you think earns the most. who do you think costs the most to employ.

Actually opticains aren't really needed are they just buy one of each of th ese and if they work then you're sorted. I';m not sure whether you can send a wrong pair back (for refund) great if you can, will it mean we won't need optitians ?

Is it realy as easy as that ?

They didn't he chose them by looking through them. You do know you can buy such things without seeing an optician. Even the blind can.

he tried them on in the shop and they worked what elese does a person need to know ?

Do you remmber years ago when you had to go into a shop to get a suite meas ured and fitted, you just couldn't buy such things in supermarket stores.

Most people compare rather than understand.

So you're saying no one takes any notice of the actual brand of phone they just pick a price point. I'd say that is wrong going by the way advertising of phones go.

Lok at a phone ad. do they talk about the quality of the call/reception or anyhting to do with actually talking to a person on the phone ?

No the £720 isn;t for the ability to phone, it;s the camera and everyt hing else they can do. Do you realy think people pay £35 a month or £700 just to make ph one calls ?

could be why the chains can sell heinz beans cheaper than my corner shop ca n too. I had a friend whos father owned a tool shop so I asked him to get me a ele ctric drill but he couldn't match argo's price in fact when he wanted a dri ll he brought from argos because it was cheaper than him ordering one from his own shop. A simialar thing can happen in pubs I can buy a bottle of whisky cheaper fr om sainsbury than the landlord can from the brewery. (same brand)

Again I'm not sure what a complex process might be, even as a kid I was tol d one eye was a bit better than the other adn even with tests I never neede d glasses at school my brother did.

a free test, I don;t see amazon offering a free test

Reply to
whisky-dave

some people do things without getting paid. The paid ones like to call themselves professional.

largely, though not entirely.

generally, but there are also cases where it rules out competence

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But you only get one and if you lose it they won't replace it.

Also be very wary of becoming an inpatient or being carted off to A&E because they are valuable and tend to 'disappear' if the user is in any way zonked out. These are highly prized items in third world countries.

Happened to my father. No-one accepted liability.

Reply to
Andrew

try

You can get external walkman-style amplifiers with headsets that help around the house, watching TV etc.

Reply to
Andrew

Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Easier. Get a monocle.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yeah they're called slags.... ;-)

close.

back to politics then are we. :-(

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have contact lenses and the branch of the optician I used to use had a tech there with all the equipment to check the lenses. No more, though. So if you got new contact lenses from them and were unhappy, they'd have to be sent back to the lab for checking. That is called progress...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely you'd know if your existing prescription wasn't suitable anymore?

Short of some medical condition, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your friends are wrong, the NHS ones are digital and are tailored to the user and the batteries last for a week or two. The batteries are also free.

Reply to
dennis

Why, if the specs match the prescription you don't have a leg to stand on.

Most opticians have machines to measure a prescription on glasses so they can check.

They also usually have a machine that can read your prescription from your eyes in a few seconds so they know how close the eye test is with the actual optics. The eye test is what they use as just correcting the vision isn't the best for most people.

Reply to
dennis

No I don't it was about 6 years ago. I can see OK through the parts of my glasses are scratch due to putting them in my pocket. As I only need them for closeup and reading closeup and my existing glasses still seem OK apart from the scratches. Same as I didnlt know if my teeth wore okay when I went to the dentist and I hadnlt been for nearly 20 years.

and eye sight is of course not a medical condition.:-/

Reply to
whisky-dave

Obviuisly the do far less audio processing than my private ones. Their batteries last 5 days.

Reply to
charles

They only last for about three days if someone puts them too close together and doesn't switch them off at night. If they spend all night howling like deranged banshees it quickly drains the battery.

Reply to
Martin Brown