OT: Graphics cards

Not DIY but this is the best place I know to get a good answer!

If a PC graphics card has a VGA and DVI output (e.g.

then will it drive dual displays? Or on the lower-end cards is it the same display being sent to both outputs?

As an aside, what's the best newsgroup for asking this sort of question?

Reply to
Scion

"Scion" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it won't be dual-head. They'll just be different presentations of the same output.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

Reply to
Scion

See X-post above ;-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It should drive 2 displays independently:

As an aside, what's the best newsgroup for asking this sort of question? uk.comp.homebuilt is pretty good.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Bollocks! It will be dual head.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not true. That card can do extended desktops with a different resolution on each if wanted.

Reply to
dennis

Although the descriptions online are not that helpful it seems to have three interfaces; VGA, DVI and HDMI. So is it possible to drive three displays? Or are you limited to VGA and one other? Or just one at a time? The manual you can download from the website is very non-specific and doesn't even mention HDMI.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You can drive 2 independent displays with this card, but not 3 (some of the higher spec Radeon cards can drive 3 displays though).

The basic specs of the card mention two integrated DVI display outputs so i would presume it can drive any two of the three outputs at the same time.

Reply to
paulag

That I would doubt, the cards usually have two CRTCs, so perm any two outputs from three, there are quad-head cards but *they* are not cheap.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Scion writes

It also has a HDMI o/p

I'd be very surprised if it didn't support a dual / extended desktop

Reply to
geoff