Best place to get Brad Point Bits

It looks like I will have to get a source for brad point bits. I need to get individual bits, starting with 1/8", 7/32", 13/64, 1/16, etc. I did not think I would have so much trouble. Granger has none, McMaster-Carr has a limited number and it goes on.

Does anyone have a source for reasonable priced brad point bits sold individually in a wide range of sizes?

Reply to
Eric Anderson

Edwin Pawlowski

Try Lee Valley.

Alan Bierbaum

Agree, don't buy from Harbor Freight they are off center!

Reply to
WD

Have you checked the local hardware store? The ACE Hardware a couple of blocks from me has them individually and in sets. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You know, I was going to try the ACE. They did have some individual bits one time when I checked. They may have some brad points.

Reply to
Eric Anderson

Make sure they are high speed steel and not carbon steel. I bought one of those sets (carbon) and they are sharp, but quickly lost their edge. max

Reply to
max

I bought a small Bosch set and they are excellent. max

Reply to
max

Eric Anderson asks:

Lee Valley has the widest selection of excellent brad point bits of any company I know of, in both inch and metric dimensions.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Typo. Should be

Doug Miller

Lee Valley

or Woodcraft

Doug Miller

Yup - and they're made in USA too....right here in Ottawa Ontario, Canada.

Funny how country of origin rules work...! We start with normal made in USA twist drills (Triumph- made in USA), and re-grind the tips....since there's no "substantial transformation" - they retain the made in USA designation for the US market.

The same drills purchased from us in Canada are marked "Made in Canada" - as the value added component is more than 50% of the final cost...different rules, different country of origin....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Reply to
nospambob

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I call it "Lee's (Iacocca) Law."

US carmakers want you to "Buy American." Understandable. BUT Chrysler moved a lot of engineering and manufacturing to Canada.

So if you look at a car, it says "Proudly Made in the USA*," and if you follow the * down, it says, "Contains at least 50% US and Canadian content."

All because Lee Iacocca wined and dined a few dozen Congresscritters.

Then Damlier Benz bought 'em and now MB outsources their skilled manufacturingn jobs . . . to the US.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

An awful lot of Chrysler parts are made in Mexico. My '99 Jeep Wrangler is full of them. The imported parts content is huge.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Charles Krug notes:

I'm not sure when Chrysler first outsourced from Canada, but it pre-dates Iacocca by one helluva number of years. My first Chrysler product, bought new at Northway Motors in Albany, NY, was a '67 Barracuda with an appreciable number of "Made in Canada" parts.

If Daimler-Benz is outsourcing their skilled work to the same factory that built my current Dodge Stratus, they are in a WORLD of hurt!

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Same as the IBM PCs. Most parts made in Mexico and they were pure junk.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Bill Stock responds:

'S OK now, though. IBM sold about 82% of their PC outfit to a Chinese company.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

see

for an explanation as to why