OT Good News

Fracking to proceed in Southern England.

the NIMBYs a pause for thought from wind turbines. I hope they find coal there and bury nuclear waste too.

Reply to
harry

1) I mentioned this a while ago. 2) There is coal in SE England

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I certainly went down a coal mine in Kent in the 60s.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There were still coal mines working in Somerset up to 1970's but it seems to suit some northerners to wallow in self pity and think it was only them who were oppressed by the industrial revolution. In the Southwest much mineral mining had started and finished by the time many of the dark satanic mills were built . Talking of the Southwest, Bideford in North Devon has a small seam of coal under it. Whereas the jam butty mines of knotty ash are fictional the paint mine at Bideford was not,a local paint manufacturer used the some of the coal as pigment till the mine closed in 1969.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And oil for that matter. See

Chris Hogg

There's a closed down mine just a few miles from here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
polygonum

Dorset, but do live on the South Downs. The working pits in Kent included Betteshanger (closed 1989), Chislet (closed 1969), Cobham (closed 1953), Shakespeare (closed 1915), Snowdown (closed 1986) and Tilmanstone (closed 1986). Hardly a shortage of coal and coal mines in the South East.

I'm not sure why harry thought that there's no coal or other hydrocarbons in the South East, other of course than the fact that he's an idiot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Surely fracking is for gas and or oil, not coal.

Reply to
Broadback

Interesting. I normally associate mining in the SW with metals, rather than with coal.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Harry commented that he hoped that coal would be found in the South. In that, he is about a century and a half too late.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That is not a very nice attitude is it. Its the planet that worries me, we only have the one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Let's hope The Cotswolds have the richest deposits

Reply to
stuart noble

I'm not worried about the planet. I am worried about all the people, of which we have a lot more than one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be honest a fracking rig is pretty compact and with horizontal fracking being the order of the day, you dont need to be that near the gas.

Its certainly a lot less destructive than even deep shaft mining.

I wouldn't object to fraking round here. Small footprint large payback.

Or more nuclear power. As above.

Renewable energy is a voracious consumer of land area, like farming. Both dominate the landscape.

But at least with farming you get something you need.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yebbut where there's coal, there's often gas and/or sometimes oil. All three derive from plant and animal remains entombed in sediments squillions of years ago, that slowly change over the millennia. Often, the deposits of coal or oil aren't sufficiently plentiful to be worth recovering, but modern horizontal and directional drilling techniques allow large areas to be exploited for gas without excessive cost.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Have they finally agreed that there is no methane outgassing from the interior of the earth, collecting under impervious deposits?

Reply to
polygonum

Only having one planet at present is part of the case for more energy sources. Else we cannot develop the means to colonise other planets or other places in space :)

Reply to
Robin

Sorry, no idea. That's a new one on me, but my geology is a few decades old, so probably out-of-date by now.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Seem to remember that one of the supporters of the idea wanted to drill in Scandinavia (Sweden?) below a rock layer which could not have any organic matter below it.

Reply to
polygonum