OT: Going the long way round ....

I received a letter yesterday - not just any letter - this one had a genuine First Class stamp stuck on the envelope!

It was posted in Newark in Nottinghamshire, then sent to Sheffield, where it was franked and sorted, then sent to Lincoln for delivery to North Hykeham - about a 15 minute drive from where it was posted!

I suppose it makes sense to someone ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

I was interested at what happened when I sent a parcel a few weeks ago.

I sent it via myHermes - cheaper and more convenient for me than Royal Mail.

Its destination was north west Kent - I am in east Kent. I dropped it off at about 1100 at the local shop. Tracking the next morning showed a blank at the national hub, but it was timed at the delivery depot. It was delivered at 0900 or so that day - 22 hours in transit.

Then I realised it was the *same* 'local' depot for sender and receiver - even though it's about 40 niles distant. It never went to the national hub.

So they got that right.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorting machines are expensive. It's presumably cheaper to throw all the mail in a truck and drive it to Sheffield for sorting than to spend millions buying a sorting machine for Newark.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

No, we post our talking newspapers for Kingston Upon Thames in the sorting office in that town, they then go to Feltham where some people whos 22nd language is English and are mis sorted so they arrive usually two days later than they would if the had sorted them. Feltham have to ship all the sorted rounds back to Kingston to be delivered by postmen who used to sort, but now just put packages through letter boxes as decreed on a label on the letter held by a band.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff