OT Gender pay gap

English not your native language 'Orvat'?

Ironic, given the word. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You know this just how? Equally familiar with tarts and rent boys?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

No they don't, unless you have a weird way of working out averages, which wouldn't suprise me.

I suppose if yuo say hugh hefner earns the most from the sex industry you could be correct, but who gets paid the most from page 3 type. When I was at my camera club we never paid for male models only female models.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , tim... writes

I wouldn't know.

Reply to
bert
8<

Don't base what you can charge on your limited knowledge. Its down to supply and demand and few demand you.

Reply to
dennis

And as wet nurses. Men rarely do that...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wonder if comprehendible is in the same state of development as 'irregardless'? In other words, it is so widely used by relatively new, or ex-colonial, English speakers who do not know the word 'comprehensible' that it is in at least the New World dictionaries, but it still sounds wrong to more widely read English speakers.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

On the contrary, it is my mother tongue, 'T i m'.

The frequency of use of 'comprehenDible' as compared with 'comprehenSible' is instructive, 'T i m'.

By the way, please excuse me for imitating your use of scare quotes around my current persona's name; I dislike descent to puerile ad hominem abuse, I will try to do better next time.

Thank you, Roger, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Reply to
Orvat Pehzoyl

'irregardless' is not a word.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What is it then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neither is 'comprehendible'; but both are in recent editions of American dictionaries. 'Inspirational' is not a word either, but has become nearly universal even in the UK.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I wonder why you made the silly mistake then?

I wonder why you felt the need to comment on that alone?

I wonder what your motives were?

I wonder what alias you will use next time (I know you have a few).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

which makes it a word

Reply to
tabbypurr

'Think'?

Because I did! I hope that annoys and offends you even more (and I think it does). ;-)

The best thing about using modern words is that it winds the left brained dinosaurs and self appointed spelling / grammar cops up (in a d-i-y group ffs)!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And more importantly, in my Forte Agents spell checker. ;-)

So, because of my word blindness, I typically type a word that comes into my head as being the best to represent my meaning and often it's spelled so incorrectly, the spelchecker doesn't have a clue as to what I was even aiming for. There was no such issue with 'comprehendible', I knew I'd seen it before, I knew it fitted what was trying to convey (to those reading for content, not to critique the spelling or grammar etc), and Agent didn't baulk at it ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Try re-reading Brave New World and 1984 and you might see what we are getting at.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

And that highlights another 'facet' in all this Roger. I've never read either and so couldn't 're-read' (but thank's for the consideration that I might ) and would probably guaranteed I'm unlikely to ever do so. The reason, is I've only read a few books in my life because I don't find the process 'entertaining' or easy.

'Entertaining' because I'd rather do many other things for my 'entertainment' and the 'easy' bit is a combination of finding it difficult to focus on something that doesn't entertain or stimulate and part of that is down to my Tinnitus (and now eyesight).

So, I'm constantly asking the Mrs how to spell stuff, because unlike me she has always loved reading and so is exposed to the written word more.

Victorian Streater would judge that as me being 'lazy', whereas I see it as me having the right to choose WTF I want to do. ;-)

So, as far as being 'bothered' to hunt down potential / alternative / 'Streater Approved' words and ruin whatever flow I had at the time, I just do my best knowing that ant right minded person reading it for the right reason would find it perfectly comprehendible . The others, well, they know where they can go. ;-)

Now, had the mistake been highlighted positively then of course I would explore and accept it in the manor it was given ... but with no guarantees I wouldn't use the same / less_than_perfect word the next time (memory / interest / priority etc). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If someone can't comprehend the conjoining of the word comprehend with the standard ending -ible then they've really got a problem. And that would be all English teachers. It's the sort of attitude up with which I can not put.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Quite.

Well, that is 'their thing' eh?

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

yeah but it's baseless. We're all familiar with the usual endings and prefixes, and able to use and understand them. What's their problem? They're problemous & pointlessful.

Reply to
tabbypurr