OT: gearbox oil temperature

GEnts,

can anyone hazard a guess as to what the approx oil temp of a modern 6 speed automatic gearbox should be once it's got up to operating temperature?

Ta.

Reply to
Mike McLeod

Id guess in the 60-90°C range

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, mine (7 speed flappy-paddle) reads about 90°C though it takes a lot longer to get there than the water temp does.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I *very* much doubt it!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nope. Sometimes 'shares' the engine coolant when the gearbox oil cooler that is inside the engine coolant rad springs a leak and the two fluids mix. Expensive repair job :-(

Reply to
Andrew

Well at a guess I?d say that the desirable properties for an engine oil and a gearbox oil are wildly different. The only time that I know of that it has been shared is in the old BL A-series transverse engines when the gearbox was effectively in the sump.

Oddly, no one else has copied that system.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

and the transfer bearing always went

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

totly stupid

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Yup, but that's how they made it!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Agreed. It's going to depend on ambient temperature of course.

Reply to
newshound

Shares the engine oil too?

Reply to