OT Gardening Chris Hogg

Google is not my friend here and the gardening group don't seem to like me.

I've transplanted my Allium bulbs into better containers. Do I leave them outside over the winter, or do I store them in the garage?

Taa.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

TBH I don't know as I don't have much experience of alliums. I do grow A. giganteum in the ground in the garden, where they stay all year, but we are in the far SW and winters here are mild. Looking in my RHS encyclopedia shows that alliums range from fully hardy to borderline hardy, depending on the species. So I suppose the answer is 'it depends', which is no answer at all. AIUI, culinary onions, A. cepa, are usually planted in the spring, although they can be over-wintered in the soil outside in milder areas. But containers, being more exposed, are more prone to freezing through than soil.

My thinking is that if you really want to play safe, keep them in the garage, but if you can keep them in a sheltered spot outside, say at the base of a S or SW facing wall, and perhaps wrap the containers in bubble-wrap to stop them freezing during the coldest weather or just take them in at that time, they'll probably be OK.

Or just do what you've done before.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks for the guidance Chris, I was hoping you would spot my posting. The only reason I knew that they were Alliums is because I kept the packaging from last spring. I'll put them in the garage when it starts to get frosty. Do I keep the compost slightly moist over the winter? I did water them after I transplanted them.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Again, I don't have much experience of them. But with that caveat, I would keep them just on the damp side, but no more than that, otherwise they may rot.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You need someone who knows their onions then, lets me out... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So where is the neighbour's cat going to have a crap if you put them in the garage:-)?

Does your garage door have a cat flap?

The cats know that the plant is poisonous to eat but there is nothing stoping them using the leaves to wipe their arses.

Reply to
ARW