OT: Garage flooded

I was woken up by a policeman on boxing day to inform me that a water main pipe burst outside my house and that my garage was 20cm under water.

I just received a claim form from my water supplier for the damaged stuff that was in the garage. It is pretty straightforward to fill, however one question concerns me a little.

It goes: "Why do you consider we are responsible for the incident? (You MUST complete this section.)"

Call me a cynic, but I sense potential trouble here. I was going to write something along the lines of "the burst pipe is your property, and should be maintained properly to avoid such incidents", but I am concerned that their insurers could find a loophole here to avoid picking up the bill. Act of God, weather, etc... The pipe in question is buried some 1.5m under the pavement BTW.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Has there been any council/waterboard excavations around the street/area in the past 12 months?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's a catch-all question.

If it was from a section of water pipe on your property, then it would have been your responsibility.

All you need to say that it was as a result of a burst main in the street which is their responsibility.

Presumably it has been repaired, but the road/pavement not yet reinstated? I would recommend taking some photographs just in case.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cheers for the advice - have taken some photos as well.

Reply to
JoeJoe