Going rate for boxing day repair.

As a check on my pricing structure I would like to ask what people would expect to give for a boiler to be fixed on a bank holiday?

I know the answer from most of us would "f***ing nowt, I'll fix it myself" OR "get out fan heater, switch on immersion, wait till the end of the festive season".

In particular I'm interested to know a 2 hour job like this would come in at:

15min home to job. 10 minutes diagnose problem as expired pump. 60 minutes [1] exchange pump with unit from in van stock. 20 tidy up , clean up, check for leaks, check correct operation of system. 15 mins home to job. [1] defective pump isolating valves hence delay.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

sparky

times. Although not the same industry I used to charge double time for "out of hours" ie. after 5pm and triple at weekends. I worked on boxing day one year,when they got the bill they never asked me to do it again!

All plus parts of course.

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

And why not?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Triple normal time for labour and parts+VAT.

If he/you didn't have the parts in the van what are the chances of finding a plumbing supply shop/warehouse open, then it would probably be a part from a shed, even more cost.

Reply to
Soup

I would expect to pay at least 200 plus parts .

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I wonder what the premium rate was for the shop workers who had no choice but to work on Boxing Day because this sad nation thinks that shopping is a good way to spend holidays.

I would suggest that if Ed gave adequate information before accepting the job that £150 + parts is reasonable.

Reply to
John

Depending on how much work you`d like from word-of-mouth, adjust accordingly :-}

Didn`t you give them a price at the time ?

What if they argue you`re overcharging them now ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"The Ghost of Christmas Present " Spoke

I hope you included the Cab fare. You should never drink & drive!

What price experience?

Sorry Madam/Sir, every things shut (Chrimbo you know), I'll go & wait outside B&Q. (Doff the hat in deference)

Well Cinders, it is Panto season ;-))

Oh the joy of being 'self employed'

Reply to
Boaz

In message , MrCheerful writes

I'd DIY

However, this is a unique time of year and anyone expecting to get anything like a normal rate for dragging someone away from family and friends over xmas / boxing day is in another world

Reply to
geoff

Depends, how well you get on with SWMBO's family :)

It could be a pleasant release from torture :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Thanks to all who replied. I got the call on Christmas day (bloody cheek) so had to wait till Boxing day to sober up but also since MIL and SWMBO would have gone orbital and the subject would have risen to story status.

I actually charged £160 but the pump was not quite new (it had had 3 weeks use before being recycled - it was too good to throw basically.) The tenant had been asking the Landlord to fix the heating for some weeks due to excessive noise. But every one he asked, wanted to fit a new boiler (to replace the Suprima - so not _totally_ without reason).

I expect I'll have another satisfied customer from this trip.

Anyway If I get any lip from the family about working at Xmas I can say I charged the right amount.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Good. And if they argue send 'em round here ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

yed'

I think that you were more than fair, actually, Ed.

However if you get some repeat business, it will have been worth it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite, as soon as he needs to take out the scrap metal who is he going to ask?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Reply to
Andrew Welham

In message , Andrew Welham writes

So you'd have been quite content to go into work as usual on Boxing day then

Reply to
geoff

What rubbish. I would say that it is way under-priced given the circumstances.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Having done so in the past and been quite happy about it. Yes.

This damn stupid "lets shut the country down for two weeks" is a right PITA. If the country wants that then lets have it and *every one* gets two weeks off, power workers, Police, Fire crews, Ambulance, Radio & TV Outside Broadcast crews and transmission people. Seems to me the only people to benefit are those pushing the bits of paper about increasing the overheads of the real workers.

Says him still waiting for a contract to arrive for the 2 days I did on the 16th/17th Dec at less than 12hrs notice and yes I have phoned 'em up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had to work Christmas and boxing day for 12 hours, both days. I worked it out and I took home about £150 quid a day. Now bear in mind it was double time, I was out the house for over 13 hours a day, had to use my own transport at my own expense to get to work and don`t get paid travel time. It works out to about £6 an hour. It took me 5 years of hard graft to get where I am and I consider myself skilled and competent at what I do.

Therefore if you ask me if I think its overpriced and perhaps even a rip off I would say yes. Sorry ;-)

IMHO gas fitters have a legal monopoly, it would be nice if I could earn that kind of money, but I can`t in the chosen profession with which I am employed. I do feel that as a profession, gas fitters have a privileged position in that by law they must be used. Not that I disagree with this, but sometimes, it does appear that the prices charged can be laughable.

I do not intend to inflame or insult anyone, its just that I feel that sometimes everyone is just out to screw me. At £140 for 2 hours work, even at double time that's still £35 an hour. Take off £10 an hour for overheads max. That's a damn easy £25 an hour. Including getting paid the same rate for travelling to and from the job.

Is it just me or did I choose the wrong profession. ;-)

Reply to
John Woodhall