Pricing on Bath Fitter?

I realize that I should go the gut-it route, but I don't have two weeks to sit at home while it gets done. Assuming I do a bathfitter thing, how much wiggle room is there in the price? What should it cost for a tub, walls, etc?

Reply to
dgk

Quite a bit. I wasn't a serious customer, so when I didn't bite, I think they came down a lot. That really annoys me. You have to look serious enough that they think it is worth coming down, I think. If you don't seem serious at all, maybe they wouldn't want to make it public how negotiable they are.

It was at least 20 or 30%, maybe 40, my memory is not too good. What annoyed me is that if I had been eager, they would have made a really big profit.

They also knew my street, and therefore exactly what my house looks like, and concluded I don't have that much money. They said they had done two houses in my 100 house n'hood. So that was what got them to lower the price quickly, but I"m sure they would have done so anyhow once I started to walk out. I don't actually like to dicker or to be coy, but when it's something I don't really want (see below), it always looks to the seller like I'm trying to get a lower price.

So I'm best at getting a good price when I don't want something, when it doesn't matter, and when I do want something, I'm not so good. I have to figure out a way to reverse that.

I don't remember things like that.

Unrelated to you: I only wanted a tub, and I didn't get one because it's already too short, and even if I only lost a half inch, I think I would notice it. And because I haven't tried painting the damaged area yet. Bought the epoxy paint but haven't used it. It was the most uncomfortable tub I had ever sat in, tried to lie back in (the corner went right into my back) until I made a foam rubber cushion for it. Then it was fine, but I was too clever and I made the foam rubber extend four or six inches below the top of the tub, with wings. And the bottom inch never dried out. I thought tubs were waterproof and the water wouldn't hurt it, but after weeks or months I lifted up the foam and there was water damage, a line, thin in the middle and almost an inch high at each end. So I use a shorter cushion now, and it is just as comfortable as the long one.

If I live here until I die, I guess the resale price of the house won't matter to me, but anything short of that would be bad, if I lose money because of a bad-looking tub. Functionally the thing is as good as ever, and the bad appearance isn't so bad except it reminds me of how stupid I was. I'm not sure fixing it will make it remind me less.

Reply to
mm

..

Thanks, so maybe 25%. Ok, cause I'm likely to get a bad case of sticker shock.

Reply to
dgk

Hey - When you do get a price - Post it!!

Reply to
barkatt