Special boxing day DIY bargains

I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at B&Q.

Is this deal something worth rushing off to B&Q today (Boxing Day) or am I likely to go straight in to crowds of shoppers in the store?

HELP: I see B&Q's offer goes on till 2nd Jan. When would be the quietest time to go before then?

HELP: But is B&Q likely to have very low stocks later this week? Or maybe they get deliveries over this holdiay period.

Are Homebase or Focus doing special offers? I haven't heard or seen a peep from those two?

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
I-hate-crowds

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It is 15% off £50 or more. Homebase have the same but also a base 10% off anything.

Reply to
steeler

What is the origin of this word "instore" ?

It seems to be the province of the marketeers in supermarkets of all kinds and doesn't seem to be a real word.

Almost as false as the "savings" that they attempt to promote.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Good question! I thought it was probably American - but it's not in Bill Gates' dictionary - even the US version.

I presume it is meant to imply the opposite of online - relating to somewhere where you go physically to make your purchase, rather than ordering it remotely - to be delivered by a courier.

Reply to
Set Square

I couldn't accuse the bastardisers of the English language either this time.

I suspect laziness.

It probably started as "in the store", then "in store" and finally the fateful "instore".

I blame it on management colleges and MBAs.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's 15% off if u spend over £50.

Homebase is 10% of every spend up to £50 or 15% over £50. However, their prices are more expensive to begin with..

sponix

Reply to
sponix

the Special Offers page, you will see prominently displayed, Ebony Granite Butt joint for kitchen worktops. £7. WHOOOO! Now thats what you call an Incentive! You might as well picture me screeching to a stop outside the my local B & Q, flinging open the car door, leaving the hand brake off while a hurtle through the doors and throwing myself over the turnstyle gates while simulataneously slinging £5 grand in tenners into the air..screaming, KITCHEN ME and KITCHEN ME NOW YOU SUCKERS. And all this while still in me vest and jim jams.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

I've often wondered about "instore". I first heard it several years ago on the annoying tapes that got played in the cheapo shops that now fill every High Street. (There must be a name for these, maybe "pound stores", except that not all have everything at =A31; "general store" is the best I can come up with".)

But I digress. The tape ran "... cheaper than the shop instore price .=2E." I could only conclude that it was some mythical place like their one branch the all-year-round sale shops used to refer themselves to to stay legal. The tape also contained the phrase: "Someone has just asked how we can sell at these prices, ..." but I never saw anyone ask the tape recorder. The giveaway was that you heard the identical speel in every shop you went in, miles apart. I haven't heard it lately.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

That's the wonder and strength of the English language matey. It constantly evolves and changes and has done for close on 2000 years.

And the reason that English is the most widely spoken language in the world is largely due to the British Empire and our American cousins.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

"Cheap-s*1t-shop"..

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Since when, in the last 300 years, have out Merkin cousins spoke 'English' ?

They are our most destructive enemies of our language.

First they go to the North Americas, then name parts of it the united states, then they claim it to be America.

Now, they pollute our developed language with their stagnated version of English.

I was in an English supermarket today and one child had a talking toy. What language was this toy talking to him/her?

Merkin.

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word regular to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Rant mode off :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

ok, try this...

find a B&Q that's about to shut down..

go to the checkouts, they may have a stack of A4 leaflets that say £10 off £50 or more at 'blah' B&Q warehouse somewhere up the road. Go there, use the voucher and also enjoy the current 15% off £50+...... potential savings.... 35%

Reply to
wildcard

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

"deplaning momentarily" "repurpose" "leverage" (as a verb)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Merkins don't speak English. I should get used to it, were I you.

Reply to
Huge

Upcoming.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Reminds me of the interview of John Cleese on the Jay Leno show, where he was asked what he thought the differences were between the British and Merkins.

He replied:

- "We speak English, you don't"

- "When we hold a World Series, we remember to invite other countries"

- "When we greet our leader, we only go down on one knee"

Reply to
Andy Hall

How about "ill-gotten gains". Probably in Shakespeare.

john

Reply to
john

. . especially when pronounced "levverage" !!!

Reply to
Set Square