[SOLVED] OT: Freecycle

It's time for a clearout at Scott Towers. I would like to try Freecycle in the hope that some items may be of use to somebody else. I am finding the terms and conditions difficult to follow and I don't want to go too far down the registration process until I know.

What information becomes public? In particular, is your email address displayed? Same for user name. Is the contact direct between the parties or through the site? Is Freecycle generally okay?

Reply to
Scott

I'm an occasional user of what is now called "xxx recycleforfree"

Yes, you need to give a real email address since the prospective acquirer makes direct contact. In this area it is a googlegroup, so you need to be registered with them, too

I've mostly given things away, never had a problem.

Reply to
charles

Scott formulated on Thursday :

From my own experience..

Contact is via the website, where others will not know your email address. The site gives a rough idea where you are, rather than an exact address. Username is I think shown.

Also from my experience of offering things - many are time wasters, just grabbing everything, before they decide whether they want an item. Some collect to resell, but some are genuine people.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've recently started using Freecycle to dispose of stuff I've not got room for, as I've moved house and am downsizing. You need to provide a username, which can be whatever you like and certainly not necessarily you actual name, and you need to provide an email address so that people can contact you, but it's not on general display. You have to say whether you're offering the item or whether you're looking for the item. When offering an item, you have to give an approximate location (town name is sufficient; it's just to give people a rough idea). You also have to say what the item is, and give a longer description in a second box. You can include a picture if you wish.

When someone does contact you the message goes via Freecycle to your email inbox, but your replies to enquiries go directly to the enquirer, as does your email address when you respond.

Like HB says, many repliers are time-wasters and don't turn up to collect an item at the agreed time. I don't know why they do it. If you're lucky you'll get several enquiries, and I just work my way down the list until I get to someone who actually turns up. But if you leave the item up on the website, you can continue replying to subsequent enquiries until you find someone who actually wants your item.

So far, I've got rid of several items with no real problems apart from the time wasters, roughly half the enquiries at a guess.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. It sounds like I should create a dedicated email address. There is some mention of Google groups but can I just use a new Gmail address? I assume mobile numbers to not feature at all, unless you choose to tell the other party?

Re timewasters, is there any subtle 'screening' method that could be used, such as maybe sending a standard reply asking for additional information (eg, are you available during the day or the evening)? Those that respond are then likely to be more serious.

Reply to
Scott

I just jumped in and splashed about. Google groups doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned. You advertise something, you get replies via email. It's quite simple. I can see no way of screening the time wasters. I just accept them as part of life, sigh, and move on to the next response. But you obviously have to arrange an approximate collection time that's acceptable to both parties, so there is an exchange of emails; I don't see that as being likely to screen them out. You're right about the telephone numbers. All you provide to Freecycle when you register is your email address.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

+1
Reply to
Chris Hogg

+1
Reply to
Scott

I use freecycle.org. It doesn't leak your email address directly, only if you reply to someone by email.

The worst problem is the timewasters.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks. Have you evolved any techniques to deal with same?

Reply to
Scott

What annoys me about the Canterbury Freegle is that it's moderated, and I suspect the moderators cream off the good stuff first. I have had contacts about stuff *before* the message has been released to the general public, as it were.

That was a while ago, and I've pretty well given up with it. Might be different now, but...

Oh yes, and the people who don't read descriptions and then moan when it's not exactly (or even approximately) what they wanted.

Reply to
Bob Eager

on 05/07/2018, Chris Hogg supposed :

Also be wary of some who will ask you to deliver to them, no matter what the item, mark it buyer to collect or arrange collection.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

For the London group you do need a real email address. As that is how those who want your item contacts you.

Best to exchange a couple of emails before giving out your address for collection, though. Not from the security point of view but to avoid time wasters. In other words, someone who really does want your item will be happy to reply to emails. Someone just wasting time, not.

What seems to happen is some send out an 'I'll have it' email to just about everything offered. In an attempt to book it for themselves, and decide later if they do actually want it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

asking people in the offer ad to say what time & day they'd like to collect much helps the SNR. But it's not perfect. And of course blacklisting repeat timewasters.

Depending on how many people want your item & whether you really want someone to come take it, it may sometimes be worth replying to the iffy ones.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

****** Freecycle There seem to be people sat next to their computer watching. Sometimes you get a response in seconds. I think these are people looking for stuff to sell on.

Someone out there wants any bit of crap you want rid of. Round here anyway.

I've never had anything untoward happen.

Reply to
harry

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

+1

They are very annoying indeed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not really practical.

One thing I do when I send an email accepting a request for an item is to say that I will re-offer if I don't hear back within

48 hours.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I never reply to that type at all and always wait 24hours before replying to anyone and then only to people that give a reason why they would like the item I have been on Freecycle since it first started and have given away 100s of items even crazy thing like bagged leaves for composting (that was actually somebody asking for some) and I have never had anyone not turn up to collect

-
Reply to
Mark

Just give them a deadline, and if they don't appear, go to the next response.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Freegle is not Freecycle renamed, it's the groups set up by former Freecycle admins who didn't like the way Freecyle was going. Freecycle groups still exist in some areas but they're mostly full of tumbleweed around here.

Reply to
Rob Morley