OT: free graphics software / Windows 7 rant

I've just had to replace my PC due the old one grinding to a halt after about 8 years. Am not too concerned about having had to do that - it's had a good innings - but what's really pissing me off is the knock-on effect of the enforced upgrade from Windows XP to 7. Half my software and hardware, which was perfectly serviceable and fulfilled my needs on the old machine, is now rendered obsolete and apparently I have to spend on buying replacements.
- webcam (Logitech Quickcam 3000) - scanner (Canon N656U) and software (Paperport 9) - graphics software (Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0; originally bundled with a camera IIRC) - TV card software ... and probably more I haven't yet tried to reinstall.
At least the old Laserjet printer's still OK...
Anyway - main reason for posting is to ask if anyone can reccommend a suitable public-domain Photoshop-type clone (along the lines of OpenOffice. maybe?) I don't use it that much, but when I do it's for tinkering with photos and a bit of rudimentary graphics stuff. Adobe want about 70 for an updated version which is out of the question.
Any suggestions much appreciated David (PS don't bother with non-Windows stuff - it's a family-shared PC and it ain't going to happen!)

GIMP;
http://www.gimp.org /
I believe there's a skin for it to make it look like Photoshop (dunno much about Photoshop and I like the GIMP UI, anyway.)

Switch to Linux and tell Billy-boy to shove it;
http://linuxmint.com /
--
Today is Boomtime, the 27th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3178
"Threatening an atheist with hellfire is no more effective than a
Huge wrote:

That'll be:-
http://gimpshop.com/downloads /
I don't use photoshop, so I don't know how close it is to the real thing. Works on Windows, Mac and Linux (With some assembly required for Linux).
It's free, so it costs nowt to try.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson wrote:

Only if your distro hasnt got the latest and greatests.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:52:13 +0000, Huge wrote:

Is there a skin available for it that makes it look like something that makes sense? ;)
On 27/01/12 15:12, Jules Richardson wrote:

if you change from the default loook then all the online tutorials and help will be harder to comprehend.
i'v just bought a book, Gimp2.6 for photographers, its my bedside reading. [g]

Never liked the Gimp (though that was a while ago).
You can usually pick up older versions of PSE cheap though. IIRC V8 and above are the only ones guaranteed to be compatible with Win7.
Here is a version 8 for 30
<http://www.lambda-tek.com/65045544AE00A00-Adobe-PHSP-PREM-ELEMENTS-V8-ES D-EN~cs/B510465>
The current version 10 can be had for 50
Free, there is also Paint.net, which si pretty good and not as complicated as a lot of image editing stuff.
<http://www.getpaint.net/
Or Picasa? ok mostly a cataloging program and to encourage people to use google's online service but it has reasonable basic image editing facilities IIRC
<http://picasa.google.co.uk/
--
Chris French

chris French wrote:

Many suggest that version 9, before it was sold on, was the best.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pixelbasedwin/tp/freephotoedw.htm
I'm a Mac user so the above is the best I can do.

On 27/01/2012 11:23, Lobster wrote:

It may help, but I too, changed to Win 7 recently and checked with the Compatability Site only to find, like you, that it seemed most of my old (and I do mean old!) software wouldn't work, Including Word 2000, Works 4.5, Photoshop Elements (not sure what version, but old), Silent Hunter 4, my old Epson 2400 scanner, and a few more.
However, I found an update for the scanner on the web and just installed all the above software, one program at a time, and so far, they're all working fine.
Hope you're as lucky,
Syke

Ditto with all of that - W7 and its bundled drivers seems quite good at recognising legacy kit once it gets down to it. The compatibility tester said no to a couple of items, like the old TV card, but it worked fine with DVBViewer and likewise my old Sat card. I've still to install my ancient Epson 2450 (I use it for large format negs), but the updated 'universal' Epson driver promises to cover that as well as the newer ones.

I used the 4990 drivers. They work fine, just have to remember that I now have a 4990. :-).
--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field
On 27/01/2012 11:53, Syke wrote:

Note that much old software can be run on Win7 inside a virtual machine. Win7 Pro includes this all wrapped up and made relatively transparent so that you don't know you are using it. Failing that you can download Virtual PC etc and do it yourself with that.
Things like old versions of office vary. up to and including Office XP (aka 2002) really need emulation. Office 2003 can work with a couple of issues (you need to run it with admin privileges the first time to let it activate etc), 2007 onward are ok on 7
Drivers for old kit can be a bit harder, although again under a virtual machine, the original drivers ought to run.

Yup with some hunting about and fiddling, you can often get older stuff going again.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 27/01/2012 11:23, Lobster wrote:

Doesn't Win7 have an XP compatibility mode? If not it certainly has a built in Virtual machine that you can install XP in. May not be the optimum solution but it should enable you to run the old software. And, although a VM runs slower than a native machine if it was running happily on the old machine you shouldn't notice. Failing that even there is always VirtualBox which is free.

only on the Win7 Pro version.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16
On 27/01/2012 12:26, charles wrote:

Ahh, I'm running W7Pro so hadn't realised that. Thanks.
On 27/01/2012 13:55, Andrew May wrote:

Good luck trying to downloading it from m$soft because it isn't on the Win7 CD by default. I spent a couple of days and then gave up and started again by reinstalled Win7 32 bit - just to get my Nikon scanner working.
Andrew

Yeah, only the Pro version has the virtual machine, but Home Premium allows programmes to be run in compatibility mode for just about any previous Windows version - stick the programme on the desktop, right click, > properties > compatibility tab. That doesn't help if the programme won't install though. Personally I specifically looked for a 32 bit Win7 machine when i needed new hardware to reduce these compatibility issues, tricky as nearly all mainstream domestic machines are Win & 64 bit now.
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:23:35 +0000

Re the last sentence: You can install Linux as a separate boot on the same PC, then just restart and boot into your Linux System instead of the Windows one. When you're done, reboot into Windows (the one that casts money, note) for the rest of the family to play with. Or buy a cheap, old PC and install Linux on it. I have a Dell with a Pentium 3, which originally had Windows Millenium on it, and it runs Win XP and Ubuntu 8.04 just fine. Freecycle may have what you need. And you can't beat the (non) price of Linux software. GIMP is your friend.
-- Davey.

Or run Linux in a VM. Or run Wubi (Ubuntu under Windows).