OT: fox cr*pping in the garden

The local urban fox seems to have decided to use our lawn as its latrine.

It voided its bowels on a tarp I left out a while ago.

Last week I accidentally mowed over one of its stinking expulsions and yesterday -- the coup de grace -- I stepped in its latest reeking deposit.

Much as I like wildlife, is there any way to dissuade it from leaving me any more unwanted gifts?

This is a genuine request for advice and not a sordid attempt to lower the tone of the newsgroup.

Reply to
mike

It's been discussed here a number of times - try googling this ng - ISTR the answer was to treat your boundaries with Renardine, human urine or tiger pooh from your local zoo...

David

Reply to
Lobster

We quite like lowering the tone :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

After a while, it gets low enough to be an unidentifiable hum...... :-)

Reply to
Rod

ine, human urine or

Thanks for the heads-up. It seems Renardine has been banned but there are various citronella alternatives.

I just don't want anything that stops the cat using the garden as its toilet. I've already had sound advice from the group about removing cat pee smells from the hall carpet.....

Reply to
mike

Set up a webcam to watch it. That always makes them vanish.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Renardine, human urine or

Sounds like your tack should defintely be along the lines of treating the boundaries of your property to dissuade fox ingress, rather than fox-proofing the entire area of the property: I imagine most anti-fox agents will be anti-moggy too!

David

Reply to
Lobster

?

First I've heard of that. I've got some, I'll do you a deal :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're memory may be at fault, Mary, as I'm sure you've complied with the legal requirement to dispose of it before now...

Regards,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

What was the problem with this? AFAIR Renardine was just bone oil (pyrrols) and had been used as a deterrent since the Victorians. Did the approval just expire, or was anything actually found to be hazardous about it?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I haven't.

Renardine isn't a pesticide, it doesn't kill fox.It's a deterrent.

Well, that was the claim ... I aver that it didn't kill fox and nor did it deter them for long.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Serious problem solver for Foxes is.....

Diesel.

Soak a rag with ordinary diesel. Drag it around the perimeter of your garden, replenishing the rag as required with more diesel. Ensure it don't get too close to wanted fauna and flora. Every time the fox gets near it they usually turn away.

If it's a persistent fox then repeat on each high point or unusual area (As in not your normal garden....Like your tarp) and it *will* work

Works every time.

Reply to
RW

That should do the trick.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Well, Renardine is made up from bone oil, which contains a fair amount of pyrroles (ring compounds where four of the members of the ring are carbon atoms, and the fifth is nitrogen). The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for pyrrole (the simplest member of the group of pyrroles

- all others having some other organic group substituting one or more of the hydrogen atoms attached to the pyrrole ring) is available here:

the key phrases are " Harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. Ingestion may be fatal. Long-term exposure may cause liver damage.", so it's not stuff you want to be chucking around your vegetable patch (or anywhere else for that matter).

That said, it looks like the reason it's not approved is that the manufacturer wasn't able to provide a sufficiently tight specification of the make up of bone oil for a risk assessment to be made (which is hardly surprising, given how it is manufactured) - see page 49 here: .

Incidentally, if you have an arsenic atom in the ring instead of a nitrogen atom, the family of compound are known as arsoles. That's chemists' humour for you.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened