OT: Font size in TB

I think I've clicked the wrong thing!

When reading a NG message the font is so small I can hardly read it. when I hit 'follow up' to reply to one, the font size is huge!

How does one change this>

Reply to
David Lang

tools, options, display, formatting (then possibly advanced)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Got there! What do I change and to what?

Reply to
David Lang

God grief! Something has fixed it!

Reply to
David Lang

Mr Pounder Esquire

You can change it on the fly with CTRL + and CTRL -, or hold CTRL and use the mouse wheel if you have one.

Reply to
John Rumm

On 15 Aug 2015, Andy Burns grunted:

Yes, I have a related issue with T'bird's font sizes.... I sometimes find I compose an outgoing message (I think maybe it's just replies?) and when I get a response back, which quotes my message, I see that the font size of my message text, as it appeared on the recipient's screen, was all over the place - eg if I've edited something, the newly inserted characters appear at different size to the original. And this despite my outgoing message looking perfectly OK?

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with HTML styles or something. Anyone else get this?

I have now developed the habit of composing important (ie business) emails off line in a 'Note' window, and then cutting and pasting the text into the email only when I've finished editing it. Would love to know how to fix it!

Reply to
Lobster

My default is to send plain text only, on the rare occasions when I want an inline image (e.g. pasting a screenshot) and know the recipient will read it OK, I use shift with the create/reply icon to send in HTML

Thunderbird's HTML editor seems to use relatively minimal coding, perhaps the damage you see is done at the far end by someone using Outlook with embedded Word editor, which seems to produce abominable HTML ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a weird problem as well. Sometimes if I use the mouse wheel to scroll down a long post, it makes the font decrease instead.

Reply to
David Lang

Turn off HTML. Send and receive everything in plain text.

Reply to
DJC

unfortunately that means you lose the ability to do any sort of styling or embed any pikkies

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That one's easy ... crumbs under the Ctrl key :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

I shall hoover immediately! Thank you!

Reply to
David Lang

So don't embed the pix. Attach them instead.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And that's unfortunate? I'd call it a benefit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 16 Aug 2015, DJC grunted:

Hmm. I know where you're coming from, and maybe that would sort it; however the trouble is, as a freelancer in business-land these days I find the vast majority of clients I have to communicate with *do* use HTML email (courtesy of Micro$oft Outlook presumably), and the simple truth is that if I communicate with these folk using simple text it makes me look like a muppet, using a stone-age email client. I know, I know - but that is undoubtedly the perception it gives when corresponding with non-tech savvy folk.

Also, for example, I often find myself included on email chains where everyone else is on HTML and chiming in making comments on previous emails lower down the chain, eg "see my amends in red" - not a lot of use if I'm sticking to plain text! Furthermore, if I reply to one of these chains myself, everything goes to pot and my reply is illegible, filled with long URLs etc of company logos interspersed between the meat of the text.

So: no!

Reply to
Lobster

Getting a CTRL key latched on (as far as the OS is concerned) can be a good party trick as well ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

However even in plain text mode TB still lets you scale the display font to a size of your liking (or otherwise).

Reply to
John Rumm

I tend to have HTML off by default, and then override it on a "needs" basis by shift clicking the write or reply buttons.

Reply to
John Rumm