[ot] fire alarms in commericial premises

Hello,
Are there any regulations saying what type of fire alarm must be installed in shops, hotels, etc.?
I ask because I have been to hotels that have signs such as "keep bathroom door closed when using shower to prevent activating fire alarm".
Is the steam from the shower triggering an ion/optical alarm because the alarm thinks it is smoke, or is the temperature of the steam activating a heat alarm?
Or perhaps it depends on the hotel which they have installed?
I have to stay at a Travellodge next week and was wondering if I could take a George Foreman grill to cook some breakfast or whether that might lead to the hotel being evacuated!
On 10/04/2015 07:07, Stephen wrote:

FFS. If you're going to stay in a hotel, put your hand in your pocket & pay for breakfast.
Have a thought for the next person to use the room. It will stink like a cheap cafe.

I may be wrong but I thought Steve's comment was TIC.
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 08:15:30 +0100, Broadback
It was, sorry - should have used a smilie :)
I agree I would not want to stay in a greasy, smelly room, but I think it must be possible to have a low odour cooked breakfast. If not, perhaps you have to cook on the car park!
On 10/04/2015 10:24, Stephen wrote:

Cold curry purchased the evening before makes a good hotel breakfast
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 10/04/2015 10:24, Stephen wrote:

People do actually do that in Travel Inns etc. They also cook evening meals.

When I'm in the US, I always stay in rooms which have an integral kitchen/cooking area. Don't seem to find them here, but I'm rarely staying away for as long in the UK, so it's not so important.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I've stayed in such places, and smell has never been an issue. I like them because it means you can have your brekky in your PJs rather than having to go down to the dining room. And you can have what & when you like.
The only downside I noticed last time was the noise the icemaker in the frig made, which kept me awake (until I disabled it.)
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 28th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

Exactly! Also, if I'm in the US for 2-3 weeks and eat out all the time, I come back considerably heavier! Perfectly happy to buy some things in the supermarket and eat at base some of the time (even though that's more expensive than eating out in California).

There are some advantages to being somewhat deaf.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Sadly, I only get to go to New Jersey.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 28th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 4/11/2015 8:18 AM, Huge wrote:

_Some_ bits of NJ are rather pleasant. My son and his wife recently bought a house in the woods in the western/central part of the state.

Indeed. Doesn't call itself "The Garden State"? However, our offices are in Jersey City (*), which is fine so long as you stay within a couple of blocks of the Hudson, but if you go inland from there, you can buy as much crack cocaine as you can carry.
This is a phenomenon I've only ever noticed in the USA; neighbourhoods go from prosperous to dangerous in very short distances.
(Just across the Hudson River from Manhattan, north of Hoboken. Looks like it may be Union City, cf. Blondie.)
--
Today is Boomtime, the 29th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 4/12/2015 6:16 AM, Huge wrote:

Newark is like that, too.
On Sunday, 12 April 2015 12:02:19 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:

So's Stirling.
Well, various forms of illegal substances so I believe. Possibly crack is a bit upmarket for the weed-and-buckfast crowd.
Owain

Yeah, I've used the airport and train station a couple of times.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 29th day of Discord in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

Have you seen what breakfast costs in hotels these days? It is not unusual for breakfast for two people to cost a quarter of what you are paying for the room. Unless I get a breakfast included deal or the hotel is well placed for cafes, I always take something cold to eat for breakfast.
In any case, I don't think that Travellodge offer breakfasts, although there is usually something like a Little Chef or Burger King on the same site.

And a cleaning charge may be made to remove the smell.
--
Colin Bignell

Most hotels seem to include it anyway, not that we stay in many. At a Premier inn it is normally about £7 for an all you can eat one which is reasonable. (good for families, which is when we normally stay as kids a re free )

They used to on lots of their sites - or give a voucher for the Little Chef, but they seem to dropping them, goign by the last time I booked, hardly anywhere did breakfasts.

--
Chris French

I stayed at one in Cornwall this time last year and had to go to a transport caff down the road for breakfast
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

A room rate which includes breakfast is much cheaper than buying it separately. If you didn't manage to get that, buying it as soon as you arrive can still be cheaper than just turning up for it in the morning as an optional extra.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:06:35 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

On many occasions (but not recently) I've booked from 'down the road' using a 'city break' or similar from one of the resellers. I remember (long ago) getting dinner, bed and breakfast for £42, but the bare room rack rate (which I observed ten minutes later at the desk) was £65.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.