OT: Fewer insects or more aerodynamic cars?

A few times recently I've heard the thought that 'there must be fewer insects out there *because* you don't see them on the windscreen of your car any more'?

But how much of that could be because the windscreens of yesteryear were nearly vertical and now days they aren't far off horizontal, meaning most of them go over the top?

I know when I go out on my motorbike I still / often get some level of bug splat on my visor, because that's still pretty upright and I don't have any bodywork / windscreen in front to start deflecting things away?

Add to that we are generally doing our faster journeys on motorways, not down narrow (and now often speed limited roads) though the country?

I'm not suggesting the idea that there aren't the level of insects there once were (makes sense with all the insecticides and loss of habitat etc), just the validity of using bug splat on a windscreen as an accurate indication of that?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In the day there was an accessory fitting, shaped like a butterfly's wings, which mounted in the middle of the front of the bonnet which allegedly alleviated the problem of fly splat.

Reply to
billyorange007

I've asked myself the same question.

It seems to me that swifts are currentlyon the decline, whereas house sparrows are on the way back up. The greenies are very quick to come up with post hoc arguments rather to explore whether there might be cycles.

Also, I thought that it was interesting that Springwatch carried video the other day of otters in a lake in an Edinburgh city centre park, without bothering to make the point that, actually, there are some human activities that are bringing wildlife back, rather than driving it to the brink of extinction.

Reply to
newshound

I have wondered the same. The windscreen of my new car which was a much updated new model, is so steep that I have difficulty getting into the car. The other problem is that the car is about 6" wider than the previous version that I had. Not a problem on a main road but a nuisance on narrow lanes. Presumably the protection from a side impact is better.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The lemming problem ?

The reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone park reduced flooding. Go figure.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Modern cars are much more highly streamlined so the bugs just get swept away. Also if treated with Diamond Brite, or similar, any that do get splattered, don't stick so well. Modern industrial farming has probably reduced the number too.

Reply to
Andrew

I remeber seeing far more common type blue bottles, flies, bees and butterflies than I've seen over he last 10 years or so.

They have mentioned that and in fact yopu've omitted to mention their garden watch which currently has 100k people taking part. I think they said UK gardens if added together would cover an area the size of sussex. They have also stated that the number of foxes have increased due to cities, and even mentioned a few birds of prey in the city of London. But I'm sure they would have been more of these birds in London if we went back in time 500 years or more.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Red Kites ? So common it was a citizens duty to kill one on sight.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I was in wales on Monday and stopped for a comfort break at Bwlch Nant yr Arian, Ponterwyd, Aberystwyth when they were feeding the Red Kites. Around 4 dozen turned up and went on their way.

Where I was staying in Shropshire it wasn't uncommon to see single Red Kites being mobbed by Crows or Jackdoors when they came too close to nesting sites.

Reply to
alan_m

my cars are covered in the little bastards .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...
<snip>

Even lorries and busses are more aerodynamic these days and I'm guessing there must be some threshold, beyond which most bugs will be deflected.

True.

That is probably the biggest factor and not easy to determine via a windscreen survey. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

my grandson at the age of 11 explained it all to me.

Reply to
charles

similar with beavers in scotland.

Reply to
whisky-dave
8<

less beavers.

Reply to
dennis

And it would depend where you drive and at what time.

Even on springwatch they mentioned that the miges started to come out after it got about 1/4 degree warmer.

Time for teh joke.

What's the last thing that goes through a flys mind as it hits the windscreen

It's arse ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, the opposite actually.

but less elk ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

The windscreen on my Defender is a the same angle as the original design in 1947 AFAIK. Bit cold for insects at the mo I would have thought.

Reply to
bert

Well there are fewer insects as there are fewer places which they live in and hence there are fewer of other creatures that live on insects etc. I do not think the aerodynamics mak a lot of difference as turbulance will still do for a lot even if you don't actually squish them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

that appears to be the opposite. Beavers crate flooding.

Reply to
charles

actually less deer.

Reply to