Power sockets with 'stuff'

Seems the IoS [1] is plumbing new depths:

13A wall socket with an inbuilt wifi router. What could go wrong?

  1. A metal pattress is hardly the best place to put a piece of radio gear

  1. I bet there are no firmware updates
  2. When you need to reboot your router, you have to powercycle your house

Sigh...

[1]
Theo

Are you sure its not a poweline adaptor for internet over the mains the scourge of today's radio hobbyist. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

More, Theo. More.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It is, but it can also act as a wifi repeater.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I suppose it might help stop it radiating its signal through a party wall and your neighbours trying to piggyback onto it :)

Sellers seem to refer to the manufacturer's website for firmware updates, but without an account, you can't delve any deeper, so I have no idea what's available.

One of the buttons on the frontplate is a device reset button according to the retailer's website that I looked at.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker