OT: Feeling cold

Serious question (those of you who know me will think I'm nuts) - why do people not like being cold? Describe what's so bad about it. It's not painful like stubbing your toe. I can understand disliking heat, your muscles are less energetic if you're trying to work hard or exercise. But there is nothing painful about the cold. People seem not to mind sweating, but shivering is somehow a bad thing? It's just the same at the other end of the scale.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

as opposed too, those that know you're nuts ;-)

- why do people not like being cold?

Not everyone feels that way although you have to define cold . I prefer to be cold than hot as it's usually easier to do something about it.

You need more energy to maintaince the correct body temperature. You start shivering to warm up.

You are unlikely to die from a stubbed toe.

Not heard of frost bite.

Not really, it's not even close to the other end of teh scale depending on where yuor scale starts and ends.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Prick.

Reply to
Tony the pony

Some of us have suffered from almost lethal hypothermia... and caught colds (guess why they are called 'colds' ) from getting cold.

I hope Wilkinson d*****ad dies from it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've never seen his nuts so I most certainly don't know them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 - within limits. I've not experienced real cold, cold where each breath in freezes the moisture in your nose.

There speaks some one who has never got cold toes/fingers or chill blains.

AIUI at the time frost bite is not painful, that only starts once the frozen part starts to thaw out. There is pain as your fingers toes cool down but you pass through that well before the tissues get cold enough to suffer frost bite.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As I said, it's a serious question.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've been cold enough so I'm shivering hard enough with every muscle to make standing difficult. It's quite enjoyable.

Very easy to stick your fingers under your armpits. Anyway, I find my fingers and toes go bright red in the cold (for example walking barefoot in snow), they keep themselves warm, especially if being used (eg walking).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But you don't have to do something about it. Your body does that by itself by shivering and adjusting bloodflow to the skin and using brown fat cells to generate heat directly.

Why is using a bit of energy bad?

Or the cold, since your inside temperature is regulated very well. If you're shivering uncontrollably, you've likely gone from 37C down to 35C. But you need 20C to die.

Eh? Shivering hard is the coldest end and sweating is the hottest end. Inbetween you use brown fat cells for warmth, sweat for cooling, and adjust the bloodflow to your skin to regulate both ways.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No such thing you wimp. Having read the utter bullshit about dying if you fall in a freezing lake for 15 minutes, I've tried it on many occasions. It takes 30 minutes to even get chattering teeth, an hour to shiver nicely, and 2 hours to shiver hard.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Try the north Atlantci in winter and see how long you last.

Reply to
charles

Since I swim in 0C, it would be just fine.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It appears that in many ways you're an exceptional human being. One of those ways is a severe lack of empathy for others - you don't understand that most other people aren't like you. Another is that your body can apparently cope with cold in a way that most others can't.

Hypothermia is real, and kills people who've done less than you. I accept you might not suffer cold in the same way as the majority - maybe you could consider talking to some medical scientists to find out why, it might be useful. But you are not normal in this regard.

Reply to
Clive George

You think it's real because you believe what others have written. The simple fact remains that you can handle a lot more than you think. Try it. While it's winter, go swimming in a cold lake. Try it for 10 minutes at first if you're worried. When you realise you feel perfectly fine afterwards, try 20 minutes the next day. And you'll pass out way before you die, so simply get out if you feel lightheaded.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You are the perfect example of a bellend.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Do you ever put any substance into your postings?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Narcissistic personality disorder or a psychopath.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Move to Sydney ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Aspergers Syndrome almost certainly: Sociopathic tendencies as in:

DSM-IV Definition. Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.

Fruity as a nut cake.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick.