OT - feeding the trolls

Having just deep sixed Doctor Drivel I am still left with the idiot threads he started.

Pretty please can you try not to feed the trolls?

Many Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It won't work. His multiple personalities will keep posting replies. Or maybe they are his friends in the loonybin. Just have to wait till he gets bored replying to himself or the meds kick in. He does have phases where you don't hear from him for weeks on end, so fingers crossed....

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

Can your newsreader kill on "References"? If it can, you can not only killfile Drivel, but all followups to his postings.

Reply to
Huge

Do tell more. I have been looking for a way of killing not only an individual poster but all replies to and replies to replies to their postings.

The references idea is new to me. I know OE can't and don't think that Thunderbird can. Can you recommend a decent newsreader that could do this?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

In thunderbird its easy if you want to kill the who thread - just hit k. Next time you switch to the group all trace of it will have vanished.

Reply to
John Rumm

But that kills the whole thread. It is not uncommon to be following a perfectly good thread and to find that it branches off into a completely off-topic argument. Killing that whole branch would be good. Doing it automatically based on who started it would be better. Killing the whole thread gets rid of a lot of possibly useful discussion.

Reply to
Andrew May

Yup, sorry typo (meant whole not who). Its fine for some threads but certainly not all.

You can do stuff like have a filter set the importance (and hence colour) of a title line. So you can select white on white for certain posters - this creates an easily visible gap in the thread hierarchy that you can choose not to venture below.

Reply to
John Rumm

I agree. Chavs and trolls should be ignored.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It won't work. His multiple personalities will keep posting replies. Or maybe they are his friends in the loonybin. Just have to wait till he gets bored replying to himself or the meds kick in. He does have phases where you don't hear from him for weeks on end, so fingers crossed....

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Good idea. It keeps the Chavs away.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I know. The Chavs are a pest.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not really. For one thing, I don't run Windows. For another, I've been running slrn for years and haven't really played with any others, other than long enough to decide I don't like them, and not long enough to find out if they kill on References lines.

Switch on full headers in a thread to see what the References line looks like. You'll see it contains the article IDs of every article in the thread so far. All you have to do is kill on Drivels ID in the References line (if you can) and you'll never see any thread he posts in ever again.

Reply to
Huge

OE can kill threads with a couple of mouse clicks.

Reply to
dennis

But I don't want to kill the whole thread. Just the bit that diverges of onto off-topic trolling.

Reply to
Andrew May

Thunderbird's filtering has generally been poor compared to e.g. Agent, but TB3 now allows you to match respondents and kill the subthread from there onwards.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In TB3, create a message filter that matches one or more "from" addresses, and set the action to "ignore subthread", it only takes effect for new messages, if you want to nuke old threads, right click the group, properties, re-index and download a few thousand posts and mark the rest as read, then change away from and back to the relevant group and "poof!" no more drivel, or replies to drivel.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well - it's all over now, looks like labour have been well and truly kicked out

Drivel will now go away and lick his wounds

life will return to normal

Reply to
geoff

Not yet. Mandle Bum still wants to do a deal and be Queen Bitch

Mind you, the liberal surge turned out to be a liberal fart..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Thursday 06 May 2010 23:07

I was with you up to there...

Yeah - but if it's well hung (ooh-errr), Nick Clegg's going to be offered a

****job on every vote in the Commons.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I was talking about dIMMs pathetic electioneering attempts

Reply to
geoff