OT: Favourite OT Subject - US may face inevitable nuclear power exit

As nuclear power seems to be the favourite OT subject around these parts ;)

US may face inevitable nuclear power exit...

Lee

In article , Lee scribeth thus

Humm ... so what are they going to replace it with?. Surely not a lot of Windy Mills which of course are "oh!, so dependable" when you need them;!....

tony sayer

They've already got some

and some solar panels too

Reply to
Andy Burns

Coal most likely..

USA has worlds largest reserves.

Wind will fall over the fiscal cliff in due course.

But the US is a little backward.

They still believe in renewable energy, and Jesus.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists was started up by people who had a very understandable concern about the risk of a third world war dominated by nuclear weapons.

That threat has really diminished rather substantially since the 1940's. But some people really *do* like to find something to worry about.

Given the appalling grammar of the quoted strap line, I've no inclination to check the link.

Reply to
newshound

Point noted, but the full article does not seem to be as biased as that would suggest. They merely suggest that new "clean" coal fired plant is cheaper than new nuclear. Which it no doubt is, especially with the coal reserves the US has.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

although the coal is more expensive than the uranium.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know what their future plans are, but they are still adding civil level enrichment facilities, so I don't feel that they are looking at getting rid of nuclear in the forseeable future.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Still havn't read it, but presumably "clean" in this case means scrubbed for sulphur, not full carbon capture. AFAIK there are no commercial scale coal plants with carbon capture.+

Reply to
newshound

AFAIK you are 100% correct.

Scrubbing the exhaust for sulphur and NOx of course uses tonnes of limestone, which releases more CO2....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our local council discovering that renewable power isn't as good as it's cracked up to be;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Fracked gas, most likely.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Jesus saves.

When he's saved he'll be able to afford to put some in the meter.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q