Flimsy Boiler Pressure Relief Valve

I have a combi boiler: Chaffoteaux Minima MX2.

A few days ago water started leaking from the PRV. It was leaking from the seat and from the side where the discharge pipe is connected via a 15mm tap connector. The tap connector is not 90 degrees and looks like its had the end hacked off and then been connected to some orange vacuum hose which in turn is connected to some more copper that exits the wall outside.

I notice that there is a lot of play where the PRV connects. It is held in

place by a 'hair clip' but there is movement in all directions: vertical, horizontal

and rotational.

Is a fitting with this much play water tight and should the discharge pipe not be all copper? If it is all copper does this not add stress to,

what appears to be, a very flimsy connection. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to add a pipe support if/when the discharge pipe run is corrected.

A new PRV is all plastic. Whereas the old brass fitting had a red cap that had

a rotation arrow on it and a spring inside that was activated to release

water pressure. I can't see how the new one works. The red cap is fixed solid.

Any comments?

Reply to
boondocker

Hmm, sounds like you've got two problems. A cobbled up installation and unexpected discharge.

Some pictures would be a big help. The fact that the valve is discharging may well be due to expansion vessel failure and not due to any failure in the valve, it's just doing its job in that situation.

This may be helpful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

helpful.http://www.centralheating.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/2965/...

Surely, in Fig. 2, the gas supply is shown as being connected to the filling valve? Or is this normal?

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Chaffoteaux technical support say that the installation kit that is provided

with the boiler includes the spigot discribed and a length of tubing to connect

to the discharge pipe. What's the deal here? Would the boiler get a certificate if inspected? Or would I be advised to run it in copper, which is PITA with the space available.

Tim, the leak is from the PRV seat. The valve is swinging in the breeze. All you have to do is breath on it in the wrong direction and water is let by.

Reply to
boondocker

It should be capable of coping with boiling water. Not that this should happen ordinarily but a faulty boiler stat might lead to boiling so consequently, the drainage system should cope with it.

It only needs to be copper for long enough for the water to cool a bit I guess. The installation guide should set out chapter and verse.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+