[OT] EVs and the used car market

Doesnt explain why the prices shot up in Oz as well with nothing like (wbac/cinch/cazoo stitching up the market). The dramatic hike is actually due to long delivery times on new cars due to manufacturing volume drops.

That remains to be seen depending on how long the hike lasts until we run into the stupid ban on selling new ICEs.

Reply to
chop

We don't know:

"A friend of this author just replaced the tires on his Tesla Model S after a mere 4,000 miles due to wear. This balance between long life and traction is even more delicate with tires fitted to EVs than those on ICE vehicles."

In the comments everyone (a number of whom have Teslas) is querying that figure, having got 20-50k miles on a set of tyres. So it seems to be an outlier, but we don't know why. It's always possible the tracking was out which would cause excessive wear, or pretending to be an F1 driver.

Either way, it's just anecdata.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Surprise ???

I thought the car was not worth a f**k when the battery expired. I expect most other people think the same.

Reply to
Scott

I think the tyres on my minis used to last at best 4,000 miles, but the tyres on my Defender lasted 50,000.

It's all about how hard you drive and how soft the compounds are...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On my previous car (Acura Integra), the car was fitted with just terrible tyres. The high-grip kind. The side walls were weak, and going into a modest corner, the car would "shift" when the sidewalls started to wibble.

At the tyre shop, they offered me some higher speed rated tyres, and the sidewalls actually remained upright for a change. I got about 50K from those.

I would think the design parameters of BEV tyres, would leave fewer options for design. Since nearly every customer has "range anxiety", a low rolling resistance tyre with less grip, is the thing to ship on it. A grippy variety would eat too much range. Customers would be coming back, whining about the range value displayed on the screen. Since the range is prominent in the adverts for the thing, if you were promised 300km, and you got significantly less, you would be whining at the sales desk.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

...and how many times the wheels have to turn to travel a mile.

Reply to
JNugent

Most people are ill-informed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Also, we don't have good data for how long they last in reality yet. The EVs that are suffering battery degradation are mostly first-gen EVs (eg the

2010-released Nissan Leaf and the 2009-released Mitsubishi i-MIEV). Other EVs (eg the 2012 Tesla Model S) aren't degrading very much. So we know that some first gen EVs are holding up well and some aren't, and it's possible to draw some conclusions from that (Teslas have a liquid cooled battery, Leafs just have a fan).

The second-gen EVs (~2015 onwards) are holding up fine so far, but they aren't old enough to know whether they'll last 10, 20 or more years.

Theo (who would be quite happy with a 2014 Tesla if such were available at a non-crazy price - currently £25-30k for the base models)

Reply to
Theo

My 2016 Leaf has a specified range of 155 miles and is now showing predicted range of 85 miles fully charged.

Reply to
The Other John

I wonder if that's a range adjusted for winter?

Isn't there a way to estimate remaining battery capacity as an objective amount - like, say, smart phones can?

Reply to
RJH

Nissan Leaf - £3,393 (39)

"One of the most important rules of Nissan LEAF battery maintenance is keeping the battery charge between 20% and 80%. Letting your LEAF’s battery die regularly or charging it to full capacity regularly will cause your battery modules to degrade faster."

Paul

Reply to
Paul

cold battery

I charged my Enyaq to 80% on Tuesday and it showed 180 miles. Now it shows

134 miles . It hasn't moved.
Reply to
charles

That's a lower price than the £7k+ price that is often bandied about.

If I only charge it to 80% that will give me a range of 68 miles now, so it's too late to think about how to stop the charge at 80%. I don't let it get lower than 50% before topping it up. I only use a domestic 'Granny' charger which is surely kinder to the battery than a high power fast charger?

Reply to
The Other John

That's a first gen EV - they haven't really changed the design since 2010. Still no liquid battery cooling (even in the 2023 Leaf).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

How do you charge it to 80% Charles? Is the charger or the car programmable or do you have to keep monitoring it?

Reply to
The Other John

The car's own control. I can set the level as I require. 80% noremally, but

100% if I'm going on a long journey: so far 5 or 6 times in 15 months
Reply to
charles

Yes, that too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's about the sort of degradation my (model aircraft) LiPo batteries exhibit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher