Kenwood dishwasher. Can anyone explain

The "logic" of putting the controls on the top edge of the door so the moment the dishwasher is running you lose sight of it. In particular the time remaining display.

I notice this design isn't unique, having had to research the market twice in two months.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is so that it looks the same as all the other doors when built in.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

And takes a standard size door panel, rather than a panel to a custom size. Which makes it a PITA when it comes time to replace the dishwasher and you find the new one takes a larger panel, but the kitchen doors are long discontinued.

I had a Bosch integrated dishwasher that had a light that shone at the floor when it was on. Perhaps it could project the time as well?

(More likely, on the fancier models there's an app for that)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

If that was the case, why wouldn't it also apply to washing machines?

By the same token, why do washing machines generally have a transparent window whilst tumble dryers usually don't?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

... and as a result you rip the false front off from in front of the sink! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

This is a silver metal machine. It's not built in. Built *under* maybe.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Bosch timelight.

Bob Eager

You're meant to have the dishwasher etc. connected to your Wifi so you can see its webpage to check on its status. Or have it post its status to your Facebook page. You don't mean to tell me its nearly 2023 and you are still looking at machine itself?

Reply to
mm0fmf

Hmmm. Mysteriously it didn't come with a WiFi capability. One of it's selling points.

I really lost interest in WiFi enabled s**te when I had to reanimate a

2.4Ghz router to connect to my floodlight which is very sniffy about most 2.4/5 routers.

And despite being practically on top of a router the number of times my thermostat goes offline.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Because some prefer to be able to see that its working properly when you can't just lift the much cheaper lid with a top loader.

Because you can usually hear that the washing is tumbling and can't see if its dry enough yet and so no point in the much more expensive door.

Reply to
chop

Presumably so you don't see expensive damage to the controls if you are actually stupid enough to let the little kids zoom around the house on the little bike things that little kids zoom around on with their feet on the ground.

Reply to
chop

Wonder what the cat makes of the timelight.

Reply to
chop

Just lousy designs. My Nest Home Minis, Amazon Echo Dots and iphones are all completely reliable users of my router's wifi.

Reply to
chop

Does it actually work through Wi-Fi? My mother’s wireless stat actively interfered with her Wi-Fi connection as it used a close frequency but different protocol to communicate.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yeah, you've no idea when it will finish or if you've been away from it whether it has or not.

Some beam clues onto the floor below ISTR. That would be something.

Reply to
R D S

They are trying to emulate for all users exactly how using modern appliances is for blind people I expect. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspect it makes it easier to fit a trim panel so it matches all the other cupboard doors, so not only do you know if its finished, you can't even tell which one it is....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Thus prolonging the lie that a kitchen should be a place of beauty rather than an efficient work area. Cue our kitchen designer lady who did her best to convince my wife that

*wall cupboards* would be infinitely better than shelves in a walk in larder where everything is visible! I do have to commend her positioning of the dishwasher such that the drawers for china and silverware are all within easy reach without moving my feet!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

We have pull out units which do mean everything is visible...

Nice

Reply to
David Wade

Yes, but it still doesn't explain why they don't do the same for washing machines.

I have mine built-in, but, as instructed, the washing machine door has to be left ajar after use, for the drum to dry out, somewhat defeating the object for much of the time. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon