OT:Embarressed ...

Phone went dead earlier. Unobtainable when dialled, nothing lifting receiver. Called VM, who said line was "blocked" and they had been unable to fix it from their end so engineer needed.

Rechecked all phones and found bedroom handset *ever* so slightly askew ... replaced and all worked. Seemed it had been able to trip the line, but not connect the earpiece, so we did hear the squealer.

Visit cancelled; red faces all round.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Better than visit not cancelled; huge charge for unnecessary technician visit.

Reply to
Huge

How much do they charge for that?

I'm slightly interested because my area lost all VM services for about 56 hours earlier this month. They seem to have overlooked their failure in the bill they've sent recently, contrary to what they told me when I rang them on a mobile.

Reply to
Onetap

hours earlier this month. They seem to have overlooked their failure in the bill they've sent recently, contrary to what they told me when I rang them on a mobile.

No idea, sorry. I only know that BT charge £160 for an "unnecessary" callout.

Reply to
Huge

Hadn't thought of that ... phew !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

hours earlier this month. They seem to have overlooked their failure in the bill they've sent recently, contrary to what they told me when I rang them on a mobile.

Odd. Because they don't pay £160 for an "unnecessary" wait at home.

Reply to
Andrew May

hours earlier this month. They seem to have overlooked their failure in the bill they've sent recently, contrary to what they told me when I rang them on a mobile.

Reply to
Huge

Always check the fuel before stripping the engine - applies, in various ways, to all faults.

Reply to
PeterC

Was this a big button phone from Argos by any chance. If so they are known for it. The earlier ones were fine but the later ones had a slightly lighter handset but nobody told the folk buyin in the rest switches. Actually if mounted on a wall they worked as you had a little locator hook for the handset that held the switch in, but on a table they are not quite heavy enough at the back. Some plastacine could be handy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On that subject, SWMBO had trouble with her bread making machine, dough wouldn't rise.

She bought a new one, same problem. Then she noticed the small print on the yeast - "not suitable for bread making machines"....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Years ago (about 20) I bought a telephone answering machine (with a tiny cassette, that sort). Worked fine for about 6 months.

Then it went dead. Clearly answered the phone, tape ran, etc. And played back. Silently.

I put it in a box and drove back to Argos. Got caught in traffic 100 yards from the store. Sat and thought.

Checked the (slider) volume control. Red face just avoided.

(I think it got knocked off the table by a cat, and when it was picked up the slider on the side got moved)

Reply to
Bob Eager

That was a waste of dough. :-)

Reply to