OT: Email client for dopey old codger

Gentleman,

I chum of mine is not at all technically competent with computers. He is really struggling with Microsoft Mail. I have no idea if that's a decent mail program or not as I've been a Linux only user for very many years now. Consequently, I'm also unaware of what possible better Windows mail clients are out there that are suitable for dopey old codgers. He's very tight-fisted, so it'll need to be free unless it's something truly special. We are looking for something simple to use, as intuitive as possible, and daft old codger proof. Any suggestions?

CD

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

This is free:

Tim Streater

I use Thunderbird, but I'm only an old codger, hopefully not daft - yet.

Reply to
charles

Book of stamps and writing pad with envelopes. Generally fool-proof.

Reply to
Andrew

Sadly, many of the clients simply have too many features. MIL would click pretty randomly, and for example swap the date ordering of the emails, so the newest ones were at the bottom of the list, so they were 'gone'.

You want something with as few features as possible, really.

Reply to
GB

Not really, most do need some sort of search in the old emails.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well thunderbird is the nor,al one

I miss good old Eudora. Just enough bells and whistles and not a single one that wasn't useful

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

what about an online mail client like

Mark

I suspect he yearns for Outlook Express.

might work. I think the free version works for most folks.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

OP didn't appear via NIN so replying here.

I use eM Client:

It's free for two accounts, more than that you have to pay. It is very good at setting up accounts automatically, even those for your own domains.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

And then he can watch the Shawn the sheep videos by scanning in the codes on the stamps.. ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Unfortunately, there is a whole suite of software as an overlay to windows completely, you can even control it by voice and have it read stuff to you, but its not cheap or for that matter very useful if you still need to access windows. its called Dolphin Guide Connect, but is over 300 quid, as basically its a mini operating system and apps in itself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Might be worth asking what type of email account he has. For example if he is using and exchange mailbox (MS 365 etc) then the web based version of outlook is fairly competent.

You can also using the online gmail client to access other mailboxes, and that is a fairly "simple" interface.

Reply to
John Rumm

Put Windows up in a VM and show the d.o.c. some options, no install of the mail on their machine needed yet. Or try various options on a phone to give some pointers to a suitable client. Possibly sticking with a browser based solution keeps things simple, and secure at the same time. What is the need for email that FB (and other social media) doesn't provide?

Reply to
mechanic

An iPad.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

One of the issues MIL had was with using a mouse. In retrospect, she might have got on much better with a touch screen device.

Reply to
GB

Also, remarkably expensive these days.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Thanks, I hadn't heard of iletter.

Reply to
wasbit

I doubt it, my elderly friends phone calls to me are constantly interrupted by dial tones or simple accidental hang-ups as his face touches his Apple MeMe phone

A mouse is bad enough - touch screens are even worse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

if he lives close to his local library, and it has free computers (West Sussex CC does) and staff prepared to help, then that should be his first port of call. There should also be loads of books with titles like "Ipad for seniors", "Windows XX for seniors" etc

Reply to
Andrew