OT - electric shavers?

I need an new one having stupidly left my old one in a hotel room somewhere... a few months of wet shaving has left me convinced I still definitely want to replace it, so with Xmas coming I might drop a hint or two!

I was passing through Boots the other day and a display stand caught my eye - seems extraordinary that you can pay anything from about 10 quid to 300 for a device which allegedly does the same (simple) task.

Questions:

  1. Which works better - the rotary-head lawnmower types, or the reciprocating hedge-cutter sort - what's the pros and cons?

  1. I know you get what you pay for in this world, but are the megabucks models really worth buying?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

If you look at the mechanism, the hedge-cutter type must have the potential to work better, since the foil over the cutters is a lot thinner than the slots/grooves over the circular ones. But how well either works depends on their ability to slightly pull the hairs whilst cutting so they can cut closer. Also, the rotary ones cut in all directions at the same time, and so may appear to cut more thoroughly than a poorly used linear type. I use a triple-foil remington shaver, which is pretty good. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The other thing to consider is voltage. I had one that operated on any voltage, very useful as I had a motor home at the time so it worked fine off 6v as well as UK and USA mains.

Reply to
Broadback

Decide if you want rechargeable or mains only. This has a big impact on price.

I have had a mains and a rechargeable Braun. Both were bottom end models but very good. I needed to replace the battery a couple of times. Last year in the USA (Walmart) I bought a new Braun rechargeable. I am very pleased with it - particularly the fact I can rinse it under a tap.

I always thought that with a rotary you are only going to be using about a

45 degree sector of the head at any time.
Reply to
John

A bit of research is possibly called for but I've always believed, and it works for me, that the rotary ones are better for softer growth (fair skinned like me) and the reciprocating ones conversely. My experience was that the reciprocating one that I tried for a time gave a good shave but was not good at removing longer hairs - and as I don't really have to shave daily, this is a problem that I found rotary ones coped with better.

I prefer a rechargeable, I like the Philips that I can wash under the tap and tells me when it needs recharging. It was expensive, unnecessarily so but it was on offer at Costco.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I bought one of the Phillips Rotary 'cool shave' ones which use a lubricating lotion - while I was suspicious that it was gimmicky, it does give a very fast and satisfactory shave. With an older Braun foil I could get a v good shave but it took a lot more effort/concentration!

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

Seconded. I've had both types, rotary is much better for longer or finer hairs. With the reciprocating, I used to have to wet shave once a week. I've had a rotary Philips for two years and not had to wet shave once.

Reply to
PM

I always liked the Philips, and tried the low end Brawn without liking it. However, when comparing with wet shaving the usual problem is that guys are not taught properly how to wet-shave these days.

It's really important to properly soften the beard first:

1) first wash face with soap, even if just washed with shower gel. 2) wrap face in face-flannel just out of the water as hot as you can bear it - your fingers will shout loudest first, not your face - if your fingers can bear it when you wring out the flannel your face can. 3) use a good quality shaving soap, apply with a good shaving brush - Palmolive-stick is good. 4) use a good two-blade razor, and rinse it often. Clear it well under running water before letting it dry.

Although it sounds a lot of bother, the feeling afterwards is just so good compared with an electric shave. (I can't compare it to a wet-electric though)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

If you compare the different priced variants of the same model they generally all have the same foil and cutter, the motor is probably the same too, so what you get for the extra money is just the go faster stripes, fancy digital displays etc, which won't affect the closeness of the shave. So go for the cheapest in the range unless you really want the extra features.

A mains one will still be functional long after a rechargeable needs it's batteries stop holding their charge.

The foils for the reciprocating ones are more fragile than the rotaries, and relatively expensive to replace. Last time my basic twin head Remington needed new foil and cutters it was a pound cheaper to buy a complete new shaver on offer from Argos than to buy the bits.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

It really depends upon your skin type, advice like this will not suit everyone. if I did what you say, I would need a gallon of moisturiser after effectively washing my face twice.

For me it would be wet face, apply Gel, shave, rinse, done. No other soap or anything.

A wet shave is definitely a better shave but I use a =A340 Braun single foil, dry, as it's infinitely less faff in the morning and my skin is a lot better for not using *any* gel, soap, oil, etc.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Same here, but I've been using shave-oil for a few years now (The "King of Shaves" stuff). I think it's just a light silicone oil with some colouring in it ... A small bottle lasts ages too (which is just as well as it's expensive, but works out at pennies per shave)

I really dislike electric shavers!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Um, not a problem...

Well, you said it, not me!

I'm actually very happy with the results of a wet shave; it's just that I don't have the time for all the faff - I just want a quick razz, and off.

Actually another reason is that as a spectacle wearer, I need to wear them while shaving in order to avoid slicing my nose off, and they steam up - more morning aggravation I can do without!

I will certainly still have wet shaves when I have time, but meanwhile please keep the electric feedback coming... really useful.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's really interesting - I don't think I've ever used a rotary one, and as someone who's also definitely blessed with a wussy beard, I used to find my reciprocating shaver pretty hopeless if I left it for more than than a day's wispy growth. Looks like a rotary is where I should be heading, then...

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Angle Grinder"

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

There may be a significant difference between the Remington and the Braun concepts. With the Braun the whiskers have to poke through the foil to get chopped off. I believe the Remington has more of a "whisker aligning" section to the head so this could be better for longer whiskers. Maybe all reciprocating razors are not the same. (I have Braun)

Reply to
John

Sorry - just looked at the Remington web site. Their heads are foils just like Braun (but triple on some models) I must have been thinking of a really old style.

Reply to
John

I got this one

and it's been brilliant. I have to say that it's my first leccy razor so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I'll certainly have another one when this one dies.

John

Reply to
John

I'm in favour of the rotary ones. I *think* they work better, but the big thing is they are *far* quieter and I can hear the radio while I'm grinding the bristles off.

And look for bargains, end of ranges, etc. - I got mine half price, this seems to happen a lot, I suspect profit margins are hooooooge.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That looks like mine, although I paid a lot more for it :-(. I had tried cheaper ones before and they were all disappointing.

Mark

In that case grow a beard and use hair clippers with a comb (about No.4) once a week to keep it under control.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race