OT? Electric shavers

It's very tenuously DIY....

Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo spending half my time looking like a scruff.

Any recommendations for an electric shaver? preferably rechargeable

They appear to be one of the many things you can spend as much as you like on.

Reply to
R D S

The unshaven look is modern and 'cool' :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I use a Philips which can be used wet or dry. Works OK for me but I intensely dislike the cost of new blade sets.

They produce an incredible range of almost indistinguishable models. Some at unbelievably high prices.

My current one is a 3000 series and I think it represents the bottom end of the top end models. If you see what I mean! I don't think you get much more however high you go. But lower models don't conform to your face quite as well.

From time to time Lidl and Aldi have them - e.g.

polygonum_on_google

I bought a Chinese 'Philips look a like' shaver off Amazon, with three rotating heads. Works very well and at a quarter of the Philips cost. This one has the advantage of 5v USB charging and not the awkward Philips 15v charger.

Reply to
jon

R D S explained :

Just wear a covid face mask, no one will notice.

I only now bother having a shave, in the bath. I usually have around two per week, then shower the other days.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I think I have the same/similar one from Lidl. Paid around £20 for it a couple of years ago. I also have a Philips. The Lidl one is every bit as good as the Philips.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I would do the same, I could get away with shaving in the bath 1/2 times per week. But lately I find I just can't be arsed.

Reply to
R D S

Not when it's 2 weeks or more and you're fat and grey!

I probably look homeless.

Reply to
R D S

+1
Reply to
alan_m

Same with Braun electric toothbrushes - what do they add to a £35 model to sell for £500

Even at £35 it works no better than some other brands costing £15

Reply to
alan_m

Remington cheepo is fine ....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Jimmy Stewart ...

I use a Philips 3 cutter one fromn Argos, about 40-odd quid. Had it for 3 or 4 years.

I bought a cutter sharpening kit that I use every 3 months. No other outlay.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why not use clippers? They keep the growth to the same length and I might suggest you use once or twice a week.

I wouldn't call "designer" grey stubble unkempt. It's also softer to the touch than short stubble. Ladies prefer it, IE they don't get a rash! :-) [1]

The slightly fuller face might also be a distraction for weight elsewhere :-)

[1] I can understand why some might like to keep a beard at a more bristly abrasive stage of growth.
Reply to
Fredxx

The basic choice is between vibrating (reciprocating blade) and rotary head ones. I have tried both and prefer the rotary ones, which may not get quite such a close shave but cope much better with hairs which grow at odd angles. I have a Philips one somewhere in the middle of the price range (can't remember which model but one that is almost certainly no longer on sale). But like most it says made in China. I was able to find 3rd party cutter heads and foils which were much cheaper than the official ones and seem to work ok.

Reply to
Clive Page

The costlier ones are marketed for the sensitive skin types, or for young BMW owners looking at the very similar graphics used in advertising.

I've got a cheap Braun "Series 3" side-to-side. It's a bit of an angle grinder, in the the motor has a lot of torque. But it's not a close shave, so gets used often.

In the past I found Philips rotary motors were pretty weak, and the cutting heads pretty fiddly to strip down and clean - washing them not really effective. Closer shave though, but expensive.

It was a £200 model RRP (who pays that?) reduced to £99 in some Boots promotion that, on closer looks when I got it home, looked like someone had sanitized and repackaged their returns.

Actually, I'm never buying Philips again.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If you want a decent shave, stick to wet shaving. I've had a few electric razors over the years, but have always given up and gone back to wet shaving.

Reply to
Roger Mills
<snip>

Does the sharpening kit work well? Which one did you get?

I've decided that rotary rather than linear shavers do a better job on my face. I've gone through three in maybe 12 years; when they start getting blunt the replacement cutters cost almost as much as a new shaver.

If the sharpening kit does a good job I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Scion

As an aside the rotary shavers are easy to dismantle and sharpen the `blades` every so often, like once a year. Lots of tutorials on utube.

Reply to
ss

+1
Reply to