OT: Electric cars

I don't and regularly do that far.

Yeah, I never stop at those even on much longer trips, except for petrol and I never stay longer than the petrol fill needs.

Or even ensure you are covered by the warranty with Teslas.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That doesn't work at a distance.

Reply to
chop

I still do even at my advanced age. Wouldn't even consider an overnight stop.

I don't get that effect at all.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to buy a plug-in electric toothbrush.

Reply to
Scott

I found one :-)

But it's ancient, and I think dinosaurs cleaned their teeth with it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Nottingham City Council seem happy to hit the wallet of its council tax payers:

This is of course the council whose energy business went bust (Robin Hood Energy) and whose expensive castle attraction restoration is in liquidation.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Thanks. This should be fine as fortunately a have a dual voltage socket in the bathroom.

Reply to
Scott

Incorporate an inductive hob into your drive ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

And make the loose change in your pocket glow red hot as you walk over it :) Don't wear steel toecap and metal insole safety boots :)

Reply to
alan_m

And don't have anyone visit your property without checking that they don't have a pacemaker, implated defibrilator, etc.

Reply to
SteveW

Is the printed circuit board the same as the motherboard?

Is GB/s the same as GHz? My processor is 2.67GHz.

Both drives are solid state and I have 16GB of RAM. Does this mean there is really no need for an upgrade? Given the PC is over 12 years old, is the risk of failure increased, or not really?

Reply to
Scott

Surely the only important question is “does it do what you want” and “does it do it in a reasonably secure way”?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Of course, none of these scenarios will come to pass as the induction pad will only be active whilst the car is parked over it. Inverse square law should keep visitors with pacemakers etc safe unless they crawl under the car whilst charging.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I am running W10 but incapable of running W11.

DDR3

No 3.5 inch floppy, no CD/DVD then? I can live with that.

Already using wireless keyboard and mouse, so this is no problem.

The cards are the sort of thing I was thinking of replacing.

Okay. Maybe new speakers then?

Okay.

Are you saying essentially that the only components worth retaining are the solid state drives? What about going to a custom builder and asking them to incorporate the SSDs or would this end up more costly than buying a machine off the shelf?

Reply to
Scott

I would add to that - given its age, is there a risk of sudden failure with a need to spend hours recovering data and reinstalling programs?

Reply to
Scott

Commercially Available Wireless Power Transfer-Based Charging Systems [14-17]

Manufacturer Power (kW) Frequency (kHz) Air Gap (mm) Efficiency (%)

Witricity 3.3 145 180 91.0

Conductix-Wampfler 60-180 20 40 91.7

Momentum Dynamics 3.3-10 - 610 93.6

HEVO Power 1-10 85 305 96.0

Bombardier 200 20 60 '90.6

*******

Challenges Faced by WEVCS

Need to maintain the EMC, EMI and frequencies as per standards for the human Health and safety concern. ... And the minimum target efficiency must be greater than 85% when aligned. Allowable ground clearance should be up to 10 inches and side to side tolerance is up to 4 inches. The most preferable alignment method is magnetic triangulation that assists to stay within charge range in manual parking and assists to find parking spots for autonomous vehicles.

*******

It'll be as safe as an MRI :-)

I will be investing in mu-metal futures.

These units only energize, when the mate unit is over top, and have sensors or comms to achieve that. That's so all the electricity consumed is bill-able electricity. That is the incentive to do it right. You have to do a good job on the flux circuit.

At high power, the distance between units gets smaller. The pickup will need a motor, to make it descend.

It is even possible, you could get out of the car, and the car will triangulate and drive itself over top of the mating unit. And then your personal distance to the evil device, can increase. So you're not sitting in the field.

It's enough to make you want for this thing to come back.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

None of my Macs has had a floppy for at least 20 years; and no CD/DVD for at least 10 years. Sitting in a box on the shelf I have a cheap USB floppy drive and CD/DVD reader/writer. I've not used either for years.

Reply to
Tim Streater
<snipped>

So say 100kW for a sensible charge time and 90% efficiency. Where does the 10kW go? I suppose you could water cool it and have a loooong shower.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

<snip>

Grr. It's enough to make people consider switching to Apple !!

You forgot Firewire. That got dumped ages ago too.

Reply to
Andrew

Not in the hardware sense. No more risk of failure than with a new system.

And that isn't ever needed if you have proper daily backups.

The main problem with an ancient system like that is that it can't easily run Win11 and it remains to be seen when you see the stuff you use stop supporting Win10. MS will stop supporting Win10 relatively soon.

Reply to
Rod Speed