OT: Electric cars

Okay, I am happy to leave the details to others experts but lead acid

technology. Indeed, according to Hannah Fry's programme (where the thread began), lead acid equates to a thimble full of petrol while lithium ion equates to several litres.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was not suggesting that the timescale of Moore's Law would apply to batteries, rather that the general concept might.

Reply to
Scott

It has already run out. There hasn't been an increase in clock speed for ages, and the newer smaller transistors are just too sensitive to local variations in chi[p quality. What is happening now is adding more pipelines caches and and cores, and upping memory speeds a little.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assumed we were discussing the voltage of the overhead line.

Reply to
Scott

Quite dangerous to apply full torque at zero RPM. Let's the magic smoke out.

And the decision to employ more than a single gear ratio is more one of cost.

Like a WWII Hurricane with a fixed pitch prop, it will fly, and peak thrust is at zero airspeed, but variable pitch is better.

There is a case for a gearbox.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought they used axle counters instead to overcome such problems?

Reply to
Scott

I thought the theory was that it is not possible to turn off the baseload and whatever happens there will be cheap electricity available at certain times. Or are you saying that the off peak demand now exceeds the baseload so there is no longer a surplus overnight?

Reply to
Scott

A mate of mine used to argue that hybrid was the worst of both worlds as it meant carrying an extra weight penalty all the time for use only some of the time (similar to bi-mode trains that have to carry diesel engines and fuel tanks all the time thus increasing the weight - and apparently cracking - considerably).

Reply to
Scott

Lets say 40 mins. That's a factor of 8. Or, Moore's-Law-For-Batteries for about six years.

The actual Moore's Law has been going for 50 years or so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Actually, it wasn't.

It was not a smooth development. I didnt fly much NiMh. I went straight from NiCd, to LI-Ion. I was flying models on 8,4V 600mAh packs and 11.1V

2200mAh packs weighed LESS.

About a 6:1 improvement in energy to weight. In an instant. The breakthrough was not in development, it was the adoption of a new and fragile chemistry based on lithium

It is no longer new and is a lot less fragile, but the performance is still today broadly what it was then.

In short it was a true quantum leap, in that it was a step change.

Crikey, Has it? UR right, first integrated circuit was in the 1960s.

Jolly good for heat seeking missiles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That’s certainly nearer the mark. At the price cap of 34p/kWhr my car would cost 10p per mile in fuel. For petrol at current pump prices averaging say 50 mpg, it would work out at 14.4 p per mile.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

As more people start charging EV overnight and possibly ASHP being switched on much earlier than conventional gas/oil central heating demand could exceed base load very quickly. Don't forget that 85% of UK households are being urged to switch from gas to being all electric.

Relying on wind to provide the base load is problematical as it is intermittent. Over the past few years the REAL data shows that there are quite lengthy periods over Northern Europe without wind. With the green lobby and politicians adopting policies of more and more wind whilst not investing in fossil fuel power generation and with decades delays in building nuclear soon there may not be enough base load capacity to meet today's demand let alone a higher demand when all cars and central heating rely on the electricity supply.

The supply companies could have cheap tariffs during the night when the wind does supply an excess of capacity but the tariffs to charge your car for the weeks when the wind doesn't blow are likely to be very high.

Are there any tariffs in the market place still available to _new_ customers that are equivalent to 2p/mile for charging an EV. Google suggests it's 2.5 to 4 miles per kWh for a EV so a tariff of around 8p/kWh.

Put solar on your roof and in Summer you could get very cheap EV re-fuelling but come winter when perhaps relying on the grid then what is the true cost?

Reply to
alan_m

The majority of EVs seem to be gears for acceleration but not top speed. My 150kW/200hp EV tops out at 103 mph. I’m fine with this and it seems to be fairly typical across many different EVs. Higher top speed is utterly pointless. Unlike an ICE, there’s no unpleasant increase in motor noise with speed.

With a two speed box like Porsche use I’m sure it could go faster but it would add weight, complexity and cost that most folk just don’t need.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not for longer distance travel and there is also the problem that the battery doesn't last anything like as long as an ICE car and is very expensive to replace. ICEs don't have that problem.

Reply to
chop

There appears to be middle ground with some hybrids with much smaller batteries but (on paper) can achieve a 25% better fuel economy. The idea is that it's not necessarily a electric only car for driving around town but the electric motor kicks in when the ICE is inefficient, such as when accelerating. The downside for urban driving is that the battery capacity will not give your a large range and they don't appear to have a plug in charging capability so reliant on the ICE running for the majority of time.

Reply to
alan_m

Trouble is that you cart around the ICE engine which is only used on longer trips.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I was using a Tektronix storage scope which was well obsolete in 1966 which used nothing like that much power.

Reply to
chop

I have just bought a FHEV - relatively small battery, Atkinson cycle engine.

The kerb weight is 42kg greater than that of the equivalent IC vehicle (that's a 2.2% increase).

So far the fuel consumption is superior, with mainly local driving. The battery gets used a LOT - pretty well any time under 20mph, and recivering most of the energy back on braking. It's also used to supplement the engine, which is economical but relatively low torque. So the battery is rarely dead weight.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The main advantage of a hybrid is to remove the execrable efficiency of a fuel car used in stop start (town) mode. Every time yo use the brakes to stop a car, that's 1/2 mv^2 energy you have tuned into heat. Instead of road miles.

Turning most of it into electricity to get the car back up to speed makes a huge difference

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But there is a high recovery when braking, which does extend the battery range.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think hybrids and BEVs are ideal for small family town use. But that's all for BEVs. On longer trips the refuelling issue and the relative better efficiency of a pure fuel engine or a hybrid score.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher