OT: Dyson Air Multiplier

If ye get a chance, and are in a swizzy store of typically expensive tat*, have yourself waff'ted by the air from one of these.

to say, I was quite impressed. But £200. Pass....

* - PC World in Staples Corner (London).

Reply to
Adrian C

I walked into one, well the air stream anyway, in Costco Croydon not so long ago, had a little look at it and thought that's pretty clever, saw the price and then was looking everywhere around it for the huge industrial one I assumed this price was for, then I laughed, and walked towards the cakes muttering, "You have GOT be be kidding"

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Same here. Thought it was quite clever. Read some reviews, and apparently it's rather noisy on the higher settings. I don't happen to need a fan, so wasn't much chance of me buying it anyway, but I can see it appealing to gadget freaks - there is a certain curious appeal in something which looks like a fan which is missing its blades and guards, but is still working! I glanced back at it in Costco and there was always someone standing looking at it, pushing their hand through it, etc. Didn't actually see anyone putting one into their trolly though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am not so sure they are a good idea as far as efficiency goes. AFAICS a turbulent flow of air is going to cool more people better than the claimed smooth flow from the Dyson. Fans create a lot more turbulent flow than you feel in the blast of air and should be better for cooling people. Big slow ceiling fans cool people very well but you don't feel much air flow as an example.

I bet the Dyson is better at separating people from money though.

Reply to
dennis

Bang on. A work colleague is a notorious gadget freak, and has one of these on his desk. Every now and then a party of tourists from other offices come round to look at it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

We were wondering about one of these too, for GF's surgery.

Not our money 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C saying something like:

Bugger that. I quite like the 'unpleasant buffeting'. Better than unpleasant buggering.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon