OT Dust/Sand/Pollen on cars.

Did anyone else have a load of dust/sand/pollen on their cars this morning?
--
Adam

I noticed it yesterday morning (Manchester)
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 21/04/2011 16:21, Graham. wrote:

Saharan dust again, according to the press. Sounds unlikely to me but apparently true.

It is ... we had this a few years ago in London, had a slightly reddish tint. Not as bad as the unburned fuel the jets would dump just before landing at Heathrow.

Happens from time to time. Why do you feel it's unlikely?
--
Tim

I am sure they are right about it. It's a long way from North Africa and we haven't had extreme winds as far as I know. Spose it's the jet stream?

I recall it happening years ago and that's also what they said back then. There would need to have been a dust storm in the Sahara and if that kicks the dust up high enough then I imagine the jet stream could pick it up. I haven't looked into this specifically (as in google for dust storm etc etc) but we do have a high pressure at the moment so I think the JS is to the south at present.
--
Tim

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:04:40 +0100, Tim Streater

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp

Don't know, but here's a satellite picture of it happening: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110415083327.htm
AIUI, even before you get as high as the jet streams, the winds in the lower atmosphere don't always bear much relationship to those we experience on the ground.
Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
On 22/04/2011 10:34, Nick Leverton wrote:

What a great picture! Proof if ever there was any. The cloud ain't red though!

Well to be fair I have not washed the van for 18 months. However I used the car this morning and that was cleaned on Monday. The car is not parked at mine and I first thought maybe there had been some local dust (eg still saw) but when I looked carefully all the cars on my street are covered in whatever it is.
A few years ago (probably 5 or 6 years ago) it was pollen.
--
Adam

As long as it's not from Fuck Her Sheema...
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

That apprentice is really lazy. ;-)
--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Graham. wrote:

Yesterday too here in Leicester, most noticeable when peering down the bonnet ...

Scotlandshire had it too, today was the first visit to the car in a couple of days.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks