Glue to stick paving slab over edge of pond

Our helpful horses have broken one of the paving slabs around our pond, it's a wierd shaped one so I'd like to repair it rather than replace it.

It's a 'rustic' cement slab about 1.5" thick and a piece about 4" wide that overhangs the pond has been snapped off. I can support it to some extent using the adjacent slabs but I'd like to glue it back together if I can. I'm not expecting it to be able to take the weight of a horse (any more than it managed before!).

So, what's the best sort of glue to use for this? Preferably not (too) toxic to fish, I have a hard enough time preventing cement getting into the water.

Reply to
tinnews

try Milliput

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In addition to glue it may be as well to support across the break with thin steel strip (galvanised or SS) similar to the ones you use to tie roofs down. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Could you drill a couple of holes into the broken edges so that you could insert a couple of metal splints of some sort (4" nails etc)? Then slap some resin anchor gloop into each of the holes and some along the faces, and clamp together until set.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the chances of drilling a hole without splitting it are minimal.

Reply to
tinnews

I think you'll be all right, maybe not with 10mm holes and an SDS drill but with 6mm holes on a standard drill it should be ok. Maybe find some old slabs to experiment with, hammer, no hammer and so on. I'd be inclined to use studding rather than nails but totally agree with the principle and it should make for a far stronger joint.

Reply to
fred

With a 'standard' drill I'll be drilling until next year! :-) I've tried drilling holes in these slabs before and they are hard because (presumably) the filler used with the cement is stones.

Reply to
tinnews