OT DIY CCTV, A Record Time For An Arrest?

I upgraded my CCTV on Saturday afternoon from a crappy 40 camera with a built in microphone that used non-time dated video tapes which needed changing or rewinding all the time to a proper digital video recorder with a decent semi-hidden camera and seperate totally-hidden microphone.
On Sunday morning at 1:50 I had unwelcome visitors and the whole lot was recorded with good sound and vision.
Apart from the police taking until Thusday night to arrive and view the footage is this a record?
The charges are interfering with a vehicle, theft, threatening behaviour, criminal damage and indecent exposure and the yobs have all pleaded guilty.
I fitted the CCTV system myself in less than 2 hours at a cost of 400. A bargain I think
Adam

Excellent result!

It is for me. We've had to call the police twice in recent years. Once for a mugging and once for a burglary. They've always turned up promptly (i.e. within a couple of hours), been very polite and appeared to take the situation very seriously. In the case of the mugging, it was followed up after a couple of days with a presentation of possible mug shots and an update on their investigation. In the case of the burglary, they attempted to take fingerprints (they think they were wearing gloves) and DNA samples. This was Thames Valley Police.
Christian.
I would be interested to know what equipment you installed. I have been thinking about putting in some sort of CCTV system.
Thanks
Alan

I'd be interested too, I've looked at many systems in the various catalogues (Machine Mart etc) and can't really decide what I should be getting. I have decided that one of these hard drive storage devices will be much better than tapes.
Julian wrote:

There's a demo up on www.cop-eu.com somewhere. Its worth browsing if nothing else.
ARWadsworth wrote:

result :-)
ARWadsworth wrote:

Well done - nice deterrent too, once they've told all their mates how clear & damning the footage was.

And how soon will they be doing it again somewhere else;(
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

With a bit of time and technical know how it is possible to set one up your self using free software called "zoneminder" which runs on free operating system (Linux). We use a PC at work conencted to a remote camera to record activity in the school's corridors. The software can monitor mulitple cameras and can be set to record on detection of motion only and even (IIRC) to detect in zones and then record the previous x seconds and the following x seconds. So it will ignore people passing by your gate, unless they come in and then it will record them entering (allows you to ignore shadows cast on your property without missing the action!
IIRC it will also email/call you when triggered
Might be worth looking into!
Steve Walker wrote:

This brings to mind how bad the photos are in the news papers from CCTV. Do they dumb them down for print and keep the actual shots pin sharp?
Dave

Nope, the general quality of CCTV systems out there is abysmal, it's amazing that people get caught from CCTV images. Loads of scabby old VHS timelapse systems still out there and loads of crappy DVR systems that are so low frame rate and resolution they aren't much better than the VHS stuff unless your offender is full frame.

--
Clint Sharp

They dont want you to know how all seeing Big Brother is ;)

What make / model? any chance of seeing a (normal) still captured from the camera in normal light and lo light please.
Are cctv cameras that bad no one publishes stills from them so you can see the quality (or lack thereof)

http://i11.tinypic.com/49kdkrd.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/2mrfywn.jpg
The night shot is showing glare from the outside light on the grass. Todays job is to swap the light for a lower powered one. These shots are take from behind glass as I am moving the camera outside as well today.
The system is a 4 channel triplex digital video recorder with a 300Gb hard drive (CCT715) that will take another 300Gb as a slave. The camera is a 3.6mm lens B&W outdoor version with a 86 deg view (their advanced vision cameras)
I purchased them from http://systemq.com/ a company that only deals with the trade (a friend has an account there) buy it easy to set up your own account
It was possibly a mistake not buying a recorder that has a LAN output for future use. I have seen plenty about with this facility at similar prices to my model
Next jobs are a camera with a bigger lens to close in on the van and a camera at the back of the house.
Adam

Perhaps if its the van your protecting that lens needs to come up a bit in the mm scale perhaps a 12/16 or so, other wise you'll see that "someone" was doing the van over, but not a hope in hell of resolving who it was!..

Phwarr!, can U buy her on the front page;)

Agreed. The initial protection was for me. The van security will be updated later with an 8mm lens camera. Even at the range shown it was very easy to ID the yobs pissing on my van and letting the tires down, women eh?

Adam

photoshoped!
On 04/11/2006 15:43 marvelus wrote:

Siliconed!
--
Frank

Excellent site, they want you to register before they'll even allow you to see what they carry.
--
Clint Sharp

writes

I only have their catalogue that my friend gave me as a guide. Not great I know.
I have found better recorders for sale on the net for the same money, I think (until you buy and use them it is diffiult to say). I would definately shop around in future but time was limited in this case.
Adam