OT: Did you know...

A registered charity does not have to be VAT registered but can be. More often than not the charity will have a wholely owned trading arm that is VAT registered.

Register for VAT, keep the proper records and fill in the VAT100 form every quarter. It's probably not worth the (voluntary) time to do all that for the tiny amounts of money a Beaver/Scout troop handles though. You'd also have to put up the subs by 17.5% or take a hit on income.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Its only sad if you expect better. Most people never find a way to get out of their financial situation, and thats life. We're in the wealthiest timeslice of human life there's ever been - and in one of the wealthier countries too. Once we face and accept what we've got it becomes easier to appreciate it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of all the books I read when I was little, Alice in Wonderland is surely the most memorable. Now that I'm grown up I realise the book's one long drug trip. Life's full of unexpected turns and un-PC associations.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I understand what you mean, but it's about horizons as well. If you allow your horizon to be close at hand and never look beyond it, then you won't even see the possibility of something better. If you look further and wider then you may see the possibility that it can be and do something about that. In that sense, scope comes before expectation and I think that a lot of people don't even see the scope.

Coupled with this, there is an irony. Usually finding something better involves taking a degree of risk, and again most people fall down again because they are risk averse to the point of not even considering the options and calculating the risk/return. There's a supreme irony with the Lottery in this sense, in that it is clearly gambling - a risk activity in itself - but yet one which is virtually guaranteed not to produce a worthwhile return. Yet people throw their money into it in droves - £10-20 weekly being quite common.

I guess that most never even begin to look.

Very true. We are surrounded by lost opportunities because most of the population has such a limited horizon.

Reply to
Andy Hall