Free poppy seeds!

Free poppy seeds for SASE...

Happy Shopper

Will they grow in partial sun, zone 9a? Glad to send you some ginger and canna seeds along with the SASE. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

What color?

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Check the web reference. It is somewhat unclear about the distinction between "free" and "1000 for $10."

anyone knows of a poppy with a 4" seed pod, I'd like to hear about it.

I've grown Papaver somniferum, or breadseed poppy. They're pretty much full-sun plants.

Ginger seeds? Say what?

Reply to
Frogleg

Not at all. According to the Website, if you send a SASE you get 50 free seeds, if you want to buy in bulk (1,000 seeds) it's $10. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
gregpresley

Just leave the seedpod on the plant until it's dry. As I recall (it's been a while) the top of the pod eventually developed little holes and some seeds could be shaken out of the pod, so you need to 'harvest' before a stiff wind knocks the seeds all over the place. There are zippdy-zillion seeds in each pod. If you let a half-dozen pods mature fully, you'll have seed for years and years. These are also, as the alternate name indicates, the poppy seeds used in baking. Good luck with them. Mine were an anaemic lavender -- Red Bombast sounds super!

Reply to
Frogleg

If I can manage to save some seed from those plants, would you like some? I bought a couple of plants from the nursery this spring. The owner said, "You'll love them. Give 'em a try." She was right -- they just keep cranking out the blooms and they're gorgeous!

Thanks for the hints, Frogleg : )

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Unfortunately I no longer have any sunny spots to plant in. Thank you for your kind (and tempting) offer. Maybe if Isabel comes through here and knocks down all the trees..? Would love to see pictures, however.

Reply to
Frogleg

I've seen some gorgeous Ps's growing in Half Moon Bay in northern California, half a mile, if that, from the ocean--red doubles. They were in full sun as I remember, but HMB is a pretty foggy place so unobstructed sun must not have been something you could count on, zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec