OT: Danger! Time warp!

For the next 5 months (I always assumed it was 6) we can see one hour into the future, as our clocks are out of step with reality.

If we put the clocks FORWARDS, we'd get MORE daylight in the evening....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Also, try to limit travel between areas that observe DST and those reasonable areas that do not. Frequent exposure to the extreme stress from temporal displacement at infinite speed can cause one or more (usually more) physical symptoms including blindness, strong headaches, loss of sex life, persistent anal itching, and in extreme cases terminal temporal perception disorder.

Phone calls across DST boundaries can lead to causality violation (one side of the conversation is going in the reverse temporal direction). This can lead to any of various problems, as mild as embarrassment or as serious as total de-actualization of the entire universe. It can also shrink blankets.

Be really careful with Daylight Saving Time.

Reply to
Sam E

No, GMT is reality.

BST is a temporary aberration.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Was the above too complicated for you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ROTFPMSL!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 02:03:28 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

into the future, as our clocks are out of step with reality.

=83=85)=E3=83=8E

That's the most cheaply made piece of shit our thieving (look up mandato= ry TV license) BBC comes up with.

-- =

Worlds most powerful nob enlarger - a space suit with a fly zip

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Whatever, we should remove it altogether.

In the summer it really doesn't matter what time it is, we have lots of daylight. But in winter we could do with more in the evening, so the clock should be further forwards.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

GMT is a white, Western, patriarchal, colonial, oppressive, male social construct. (*)

UTC is reality.

(* Did I miss any out? And just for the avoidance of doubt, this is a

*joke*, attempting to take the piss out of those who say such things for real.)
Reply to
Huge

DST is all the fault of some guy with insomnia early in the 20th century. He woke up early in the summer and saw all the windows with their blinds down in brilliant sunlight and decided it would be a good idea to move an hour of daylight to the evening (when it is light anyway) so people can play tennis at 9pm. Now we're stuck with the arrangement as whatever we do some people will lose out.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yeah, but they're only Scottish subsidy junkies, so who cares? There's only so much daylight to go round, no matter how you fiddle the clocks.

Reply to
Huge

Did he not think it would be nice to have that hour of sunlight in the winter evenings too? Or even three hours? I'd shift the clocks permanently all year round to GMT+3.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But there's no point in having it early in the morning when you're either lying in or driving to work. The evening is when everyone's at home and should enjoy the light.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 15:21:18 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

our into the future, as our clocks are out of step with reality.

=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

atory TV license) BBC comes up with.

es back in 2012. I suppose it's very inexpensive to produce episodes on = location?

They should spend more money on the script writers. The storyline appea= rs to have been made up by a 6 year old.

And why do you keep editing out half the newsgroups?

Especially like this:

-- =

I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People get out of the way much= faster now.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Or rich enough.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 16:03:31 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

e hour into the future, as our clocks are out of step with reality.

(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

andatory TV license) BBC comes up with.

tates back in 2012. I suppose it's very inexpensive to produce episodes = on location?

pears to have been made up by a 6 year old.

=83=85)=E3=83=8E

EGAD! Use a real newsserver and a newsgroups program.

-- =

As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Traffic Wardens fun= eral, a voice from inside screams: "I'm not dead, I'm not dead. Let me out!" The Vicar smiles, leans forward sucking air through his teeth and mutter= s: "Too late pal, I've already done the paperwork"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In fact we have now moved into the realm of real time - GMT -almost identical to UTC worldwide time.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

No such thing as "real" time. It's just a number on a clock, it can be anything we want it to be, but putting the clocks back in the winter is the wrong way round, giving us LESS light!

Almost? Is it 5 seconds out or something?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That is the case for many. Personally I'll soon be at the point where working is counterproductive. The monthly benefit increases for every year you delay filing past the nominal retirement age until 70. After that they can't force you to file but the benefits will be as good as they'll ever be. Then at 70 1/2 you're required to start dispersing your IRA savings. Contrary to some people's belief all of this is taxable income and when added to your work salary can lead to an unpleasant surprise on tax day.

Part of the legislation was to encourage older people to get out of the workforce, creating jobs for the next generation. Unfortunately given the current birth rates the next generation tends to be low skilled warm bodies.

It's a slow motion example of what has occurred many times in history with bands of fellaheen wandering through the ruins of a civilization they no longer can comprehend. It's also a popular SciFi topic, q.v. 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'.

Reply to
rbowman

If you have to work 2 hours late, simply get overtime payments or come in late/leave early another day.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Never heard of that in the UK, mind you I've never applied for a pension yet. AFAIK you get a fixed amount whatever age you are. If you choose to work after the official retirement age, you get your pension AND your salary.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword