OT cutting greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050

Nope, produce that to get more CO2 out of the atmosphere.

Nope, the area which arent used for agriculture.

Pointless, there isnt enough land in those to matter.

Reply to
Jimbo

Him and a good few others who don't have reputations or incomes to protect!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

He didn?t show that it was impossible if all the power generation is done with nukes and all cars are electric and all you are doing is getting enough CO2 out of the atmosphere to compensate for the CO2 produced when constructing the nukes and cars.

Reply to
Jimbo

Not quite.

If a newly brexited britrain were to take on board te science of Wade Allsion, and work with the nuclear authority to develop nuclear regulations that allowed building nuclear power plants that were both completely safe and one third the cost, then we wouldnt have any cost increases in electricity but in fact decreases, as we could junk all the windmills etc.

At this point not only does our balance of paymenst improve - we are net importers of gas and windmills - but so does energy security.

Additionally heat pumps become cheaper than gas heating by some margin.

The challenge is then to look for ways to reduce use of coal oil and gas in smelting and other chemical feedstock applications.

Plus off grid transport - that is a major challenge.

Like windmills we are gaily promoting electric cars before a vital comonent - cheap energy storage - is avialable.

That is a fossil free energy sector scenario. BUT there are major technological political and phsyical barriers to it.

What is being proposed by the Greens is just wishful thinking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eh, again?! What are you going to use for the feed material to produce that limestone, and where are you going to get it?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Clearly that havent managed to stop new nukes in the UK, India or China. Or the use of coal in any but the UK.

Who are in fact completely irrelevant.

Reply to
Jimbo

Same as aircon. Loads of boxes clamped outside with fans in em

Where is all the pipework going

Most blocks of flats have internal ducting to carry pipes typically gas..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Calcium and CO2.

and where are you going to get it?

Well the CO2 is all around and the seas are full of calcium salts.

Expensive way to solve a non-existent problem, mind...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually even that is dubious.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They do not have such influence in India or China

YThey have mptsly stopped new caol in Europe and N America.

Nope. They are the people who oppose Donald Trump, who is pro coal.

You will find that the same people run with radical progressive left policies, climate change and antinuclear stances by and large.

All these movments have been infiltrated and are now centrally co-ordinated,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But by pretending to go along with what the XR mob want, they'll keep at it like a dog with a bone, they need telling to f*ck right off ... maybe they'll get the message when Heathrow runway 3 doesn't get cancelled?

Reply to
Andy Burns

What is needed is a reality TB show where Green activists get to test their ideas of zero emission living by being sent to the scottish highlands naked and being filmed dying horribly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So, you precipitate the calcium as lime, by raising the pH using caustic soda obtained by electrolysis of sea water, using electricity from nukes? That's a hell of a complicated route, unless you can short-circuit it and get the lime by direct electrolysis. Whatever, it ain't going to be anywhere sufficient to lower atmospheric CO2 levels by more than a gnat's whisker.

I see that there are many proposals for lowering atmospheric CO2 by _adding_ lime to seawater (ignoring the environmental side effects, that is!), not by taking it out.

, which rather kills the idea of getting lime by that route.

So Jimbo, where's the feed for your limestone production coming from?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

As long as they don't add it to the sea or the environmental disaster will kill billions when the extinction of sea life starts happening. Maybe that's what they want?

Reply to
dennis

Where you put the limestone you produce to get some CO2 out of the atmosphere.

Reply to
Jimbo

No its not if the steel is produced from scrap with electric arc furnaces powered by nukes to minimise the CO2 production.

Reply to
Jimbo

Didn?t stop it in Germany.

But they don?t have power in Congress to stop coal.

Yes, but they have no real power at all.

Didn?t stop Germany doing new coal.

Reply to
Jimbo

You're not making any sense. Limestone doesn't absorb CO2. To absorb CO2 to make limestone you need lime. Where are you going to get it? Getting it from seawater reduces the ability of the seawater itself to absorb the CO2 already in the atmosphere, so will actually make things worse. I ask again, where are you going to get the lime?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'm not so sure, it would be a complete economic meltdown. So many of life's basics we take for granted would no longer be there. Like lots of food in cities.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr