OT - configuring PAN newsreader -Xpost

Yes, I'm using a (slightly tweaked) LXDE, having grown tired of the KDE bloat.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I ran it in a VM for a while. It's horrible.

Reply to
Huge

I just tried this here; the menu bar is located in the main screen window (the bar at the very top of the screen) rather than in the reduced-size Pan window.

Reply to
Terry Fields

That's default behaviour for Unity desktop manager - takes some getting used to.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks - probably explains some of my problems.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I sorta agree ... Unity is a brave attempt to do something new with the desktop in the hope of making it easier (especially for non-techies) to pick up and use. It's nice to see Canonical trying to improve on the desktop metaphor rather than blindly copying Microsoft as just about everyone else seems to have done ... and a shame they haven't made a better job of it!

Unity grew out of Ubuntu Netbook Remix when Canonical (or rather, Mark Shuttleworth) began to be dissatisfied with what the Gnome team were doing. I can see why that was done. It's unfortunate that staying with Gnome 2 wasn't a viable option, but there it is.

I don't particularly like the way the dash is evolving, but as long as I can turn off the Amazon links (I'm one of those rare people who has still never bought from Amazon) I don't find it too bad.

The global menu, though, on anything but a maximized window, is an piece of arrant lunacy that deserves all the scorn and contempt that it has received. And more.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

Skipping lightly over the fact that Microsoft didn't invent it in the first place.

Reply to
Huge

I think we probably know that Apple produced the first commercial WIMP interface, borrowing ideas from Xerox PARC, and Microsoft has never invented anything much, but he didn't say that they have, just that the Windows interface has influence (as it's the one with which most people are familiar).

Reply to
Rob Morley

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ stealing wholesale

Reply to
Huge

Did Xerox ever say they couldn't/shouldn't use it?

Reply to
Rob Morley

TBH, I don't think the truth of this will ever come out, and I worked there, especially given that some of the people involved are now dead and the lawyers have been involved.

Reply to
Huge

They did not, indeed. But they have made it ubiquitous, so it is they who are being copied. For better or for worse.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

IIRC Apple (unlike Microsoft) actually licenced (or something) the WIMP design from Xerox.

Wikipedia sends me here:

is an interesting article ... but may not be telling the whole story, any of the story, or anything like the true story. Who can say?

Anyhow, it would /appear/ that Apple's use of Xerox's ideas has slightly more legitimacy that Microsoft's.

Reply to
Daniel James

The latter paragraph is true enough.

(TBH, ICBA to read the article. I worked for Xerox when all this was going on, and I have no idea what I heard via RumorNet(sic) is The Truth or not.)

Reply to
Huge

And didn't Xerox borrow many ideas from NLS, anyway? It's never about "first", only about who has the best marketing department.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson