running pine under (b)ash?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On an old Debian 'woody' distribution?

Tsk Tsk.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't understand a single word of that :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He gonna get his ass hacked

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim,

Belated thanks for your reply.

That's exactly what it was (or rather what they were) but why? Why would it benefit anyone else to generate hits to my site, I wonder?

The host service advised me to switch to a new server both to prevent the same sort of hacking happening again (or at least make it less likely) and also because the old platform is being phased out as obsolete: my understanding is that it will soon be deleted.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Rereading my reply it strikes me that it doesn't answer your question. Perhaps I misunderstood what Easily were telling me.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Because as someone else pointed out it ALSO has a link to some other site. So its a way top get the OTHER site lined in to googles engine.

I discovered this by accident myself. I mentioned the gridwatch site on a blog or two - and the net thing the search bots were crawling all over it having followed links from the blogs.

If you want to get scores up on your site, having links to it from other places bumps up the google pages.

If you type gridwatch into google, chances are my site will top the list. Simply because its been mentioned by me and other people so often.

Cant be soon enough I reckon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it does ' out old server is s**te we have a better one, switch to it' is congruent with 'its got ports open all over the place'

This sort of crapola is why I live having my own server. From MY IP address I have absolutely full access to everything, no one else can access anything beyond HTTP, HTTPS and SMTP services. Apart from a mate who has FTP access top his website.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher