OT: Computer stuff

It always cracks me up when the Windows - bashing starts. I really don't know what it is that people do with their PCs that causes them so much Windows trouble. I have run every version of it since the first, whatever that was - 3.1 was it ? Dunno, can't remember now - and I can honestly say that I have never had a serious problem either getting it to work, keeping it working, or maintaining the many programs that I have running under it. I install and remove programs all the time without issue. At least if I buy or obtain a piece of software that is written for the Windows platform, I know that it is just going to work ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

oim$r9p$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

+1 :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No they generally cost more because they are better machines, or rather the specs aren't as crap as the equivalent PC.

To cover the cost of all the soft toys they have to send out, every

I've never recived a soft toy from Apple.

Although I have noticed that lots of non Aple computers come with laods of colourful stickes, the sort that I usually find on bannanis and peokle stick on guitars, can youm actually buy a PC without any of those stupid stickers ? or is it thaqt they can;t be sold withouyt them. Then there's all that crap they install on most PCs why do you need so much free stuff pre-installed on PCs before you'll buy them ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

specs aren't as crap as the equivalent PC.

colourful stickes, the sort that I usually find on bannanis and peokle stick on guitars, can youm actually buy a PC without any of those stupid stickers ?

free stuff pre-installed on PCs before you'll buy them ?

Nothing came on my PCS at all.

Not even an operating system.

Why spend 30% more on Windows when I don't actually want it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

messagenews:k4uoim$r9p$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

-1

Sorry, you must have been either entirely unadventurous or extremely lucky.

The last all windows machine I had - WIN86 - required rebooting on certain programmes almost every hour.

By contrast my three linux machines only get rebooted

- when there is a power cut

- when the kernel is upgraded

- very occasionally when a USB device locks the whole thing up.

offsite server (never been rebooted since first fired up: colocated in proper no power cut machine room!) # uptime 12:53:00 up 329 days, 11:41, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 Onsite server (last power cut reboot) #uptime 12:53:37 up 64 days, 18:28, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 desktop machine (rebooted when the hardware got wedged - USB is getting flaky on this 4 year old machine) #uptime

12:54:20 up 23 days, 2:22, 4 users, load average: 0.14, 0.04, 0.01

MTBR (mean time between reboots) of a Windows machine is about 3-7 days generally.

Add in

No virus scan software needed. Linux viruses can be counted on the fingers of one hand and the number that would work with my exact distro set up in my exact way is probably nil. No paid for software exists on any machine. Support is better than Mac or windows and totally free. I have ebven had conversations with the people who WROTE THE CODE in certauin bug areas.

If you want an appliance, buy a Mac or a PC. If you want a COMPUTER get Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All my offspring and their wives use Macs because they're industry standard in their jobs. Schoolchildren use PCs for the same reason. Geeks like to faff about with Linux. Chacun a son gout and stuff

Reply to
stuart noble

So do millions of users who run android (Linux) phones.

I am not saying windows and Macs dont have their place, I am just telling you what that place is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

k4uoim$r9p$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

I have pretty much the same with my Mac the last time I rebooted it was up = for 32 days. The only thing that's frozen it was quitting a broswer game while in full s= creen mode runnign firefox, I've heard it's something to do with unity play= er rather than the OS.

I've had larger loads on my mac mini running for 78 days IIRC. Most of the time running a webcam.

I could say the same

Really ?=20 We have two or three people employed to support our unix boxes I assume the= y get paid.

Bug areas in linux surely not. ;-0

Perhaps true but nowerdays peolpe expect computers to work for them previously you'd work for your computer, which is what I've found with linu= x .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Er no. I spent too much time fixing windows and macs. At least with Linux I fix it ONCE.

Macs are more stable because they too are based on a sort of Unix/Linux. Then they added a crappy flashy GUI and bells and whistles and it all got crappy again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson scribeth thus

We have a few old WIN 2000 pro machines in remote locations admittedly there're remoted into from time to time but them being up for a year or so isn't uncommon. They mainly get re booted because of power cuts.

We have a WIN 7 machine on 24 hrs a day and its up for very long periods...

And those running RCS master control in radio studios using WIN XP a lot of the time, up for ages most of them!..

Reply to
tony sayer

specs aren't as crap as the equivalent PC.

Hmmm.. so I went to look, because that doesn't agree with my previous findings. And I can't prove or disprove it.

A bottom end Mac Pro comes with a 3.2GHz Intel Xeon. It doesn't say which. And that means I can't compare.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So you had some crap windows programs that ate resources? And on that old version the system couldn't handle recovering the leaks? And now you have a system that locks up when you plug in a USB device, so its better?

Uptime on my work machine is normally from applying one security fix to the next. Yes, there is an issue with Windoze being the biggest virus target. And that reminds me, I must apply the updates to our source control server. I haven't done it since July, and it hasn't crashed in the meantime.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Well then I reckon I must be very lucky, along with all the rest of my family, and just about everybody that I know. My PCs here all run for months on end without being rebooted. This one was turned off for the first time in probably six months a few weeks ago, when I had to pop the power supply out to lubricate a noisy fan. And as for virus problems, I don't actually have a problem. I run Avast free version in the background on all of the PCs and laptops here, and it does very well at picking up and blocking anything wrong that comes in. Not that there are actually very many of them anyway. Most are in fact adware, trojans or general malware. I really think, based on my long experience of being a PC user, that a lot of the virus paranoia is actually just that - baseless paranoia ...

I don't know why you feel that Windows support is poor or costs anything. Yes, the operating system is updated regularly by MS, but it is all done automatically and costs nothing. People always rabbit on about Windows being full of bugs, and that's what the updates are for, but I have found that almost all of the updates are to try to block the tow rags who derive some kind of perverse pleasure from trying to screw over Windows users.

And as for having any software on the machine that is paid for, I don't either. The operating system came with the machine, and all of my applications are free versions.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Unadventurous, I guess Arfa has never seriously used other OS's or GUI's, so only knows about the Windows GUI.

What I find most annoying about the Windows is it's half brain dead, inconsistent, UI. Sometimes you need to double click, sometimes single to start an action. If you have a dialog open you can't switch focus to

*any* other window to gather information or move it, you can to some but not *all*. Shortcuts, move the destination file and the shortcut breaks. The OS can go off "doing something" for long periods of time, sometimes it shows the "hour glass", sometimes it doesn't. When it's not showing the "hour glass" but is actually "doing something", it sometimes doesn't register new commands, other times it queues them. Dependency on filename extentions to associate a file with a program, why can't I configure some .txt files open with Notepad, others with Word?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can't think of any example where it isn't clear from context. E.g. double click desktop icons, single click taskbar icons.

That's the programmers decision to create a modal dialog, not a fault of the OS.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If the modal dialogue box is displayed by a part of the OS then it *is* the OS at fault. I give you "Shutdown Event Tracker" - whilst arguable on a PC - it is utter madness on a server which is likely unattended and hardly ever looked at. And its presence can get in the way of lots of things happening.

Reply to
polygonum

Hear, hear. Any UI that seizes the input focus is broken. There's a PowerTool that prevents that behaviour, but it broke Notes (even more) so I can't use it. :o(

(My work machine runs Windows.)

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. And the same issues present themselves in Linux too. Gnome cant decide whether a single click selects, or invokes, sometimes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The madness is having a GUI to manage a server in the first place that is tied to the machine...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher